Chapter 20 - Over Again (Joe's Pov)

There was an accident and there was blood all over the ground.

That was how I remembered Demi's first accident.

I was shaking violently as Nick rushed from the house and ran to where Demi lay on the ground, unconscious and bloody. Soon an ambulance came and took her away and Nick was yelling at me to start my car and follow the ambulance.

This cannot be happening again. 

I saw Demi running out of our house and I knew that something terrible had happened, she found out what happened.

I tried to stop her, then I heard my friends passed by and called out to me. I turned to look at wave at them and in a matter of minutes, Demi was hit by a car. The impact was strong and Demi lay bloody on the ground unconscious. Apparently Nick and mom heard because they were running behind me as I went to where Demi was, but then I stopped.

The memories were all too clear, all too fresh and again, it was all because of me. 

I couldn't drive. I stopped and braked the car.

"I'm shaking" I said. 

Nick looked mad at how unstable I was. He got out and opened the door, "Move" He commanded as I moved to the other seat, he sat down and drove us to the hospital. 

Demi's mom was there, mom was there and Frankie and Kane and a whole lot of people. It was amazing with Nick, was composed and steady and calm, like a real person. It hit me. Nick isn't crazy. He's okay. He was well. Mom knew it too because I could see the smile in her eyes. The pain and sadness was veiled with peace and happiness.

Only, I wasn't happy. I deserved it, every little drop of sadness in this world, after what I've put everyone through, I knew I deserved this. 

Demi was in a terrible state. 

the doctor said she has 24 hours to regain her conscious, if she doesn’t then there is a possibility that she will never wake up, the words that came out of doctors mouth just made my whole body numb as her mom collapsed on the floor, crying her heart out while nick and mom was consoling her. 

Nick was telling her the truth, trying to keep her occupied that demi made her well and that Demi made him alive.

Even my mom was telling what happened at the first accident that involves the 3 of us and she was trying to console Demi's mom saying that Demi is a strong girl, she'll wake up.

I just stood helpless on one of the seats, too numb to move and speak. Nobody noticed me and all I could think of was Demi. 

How could I almost kill my best friend? this second time around, I'm scared that this time, I may possibly have suceeded.

The doctor commanded everyone to go home. They all looked like a mess, they were crying and consoling each other, and they were tired and hungry. 

The doctor told them that their crying wouldn't help anyone so he ordered them to freshen up and come back when they're all in a much better state. My mom took in charge and told everyone that the doctor was right, we're not helping Demi by staying here and crying. She told everyone to go get something to eat, change and just meet here later. She offered to drive Demi's family home.

Only Nick had another idea.

"Joe" He looked at me.

"yeah?" I asked as I was still sitting alone in one of the chairs

"I need you to stay" He said

"Stay?" I repeated

"You're in a far better state than the rest of us, I need you to stay and watch Demi, we just can't leave her" He said. I could tell he really cares about Demi