Chapter 15 - The Swing (Joe's Pov)

It was just an ordinary day at our house and Nick and Demi and I were playing like we always do.

Demi was challenging me to push them higher and higher into the air and Nick was laughing like he always does.

We were having so much fun.

Suddenly the ice cream truck came and I wanted to buy ice cream but Demi and Nick was still on the swing rising higher and higher into the sky but I wanted them to buy ice cream with me. So I hold on to one of the ropes and I tried to stop the swing. Nick lost his balance in the swing and he fell down on the ground, he hit a rock.

I was so shocked and Demi jumped from the swing to come close to Nick.

Nick lay on the ground unconscious, with blood all over the floor.

Demi was starting to cry now, mom would kill me for this.

“THIS is all your fault!” I told Demi

“How is this my fault?” She retorted

“This is all your fault! You shouldn’t have forced me to push you guys higher into the air! Now look what you’ve done”

“You are so mean! I’m going to get my mama” She said, she had tears all over her face and she got up to cross the street to her house.

I guess she had been so blinded with her tears that she didn’t see the approaching car.

Then there was a collision and blood on the ground, and then …….. my world just fell apart.

When Nick awoke at the hospital, the doctor told us that Nick suffered major brain damage and that it might affect him as a person in the psychological aspect.

Nick was never the same again after that, it was like he became some crazy person that I don’t even know.

I distanced myself from him as much as possible. After all, this was all my fault. Everything was my fault. I should be taking care of him instead I caused more damage.

I blamed it all on Demi.

She was the one to be blamed, of course no one believed me.

But my mom needed something to hold on to, so she holds on to that story.

She believed that it was all Demi’s fault, Demi was the one to blame.

Demi suffered an accident, and she suffered from amnesia.

She hardly remembers what happened that day, or even remembered that day.

She was never the same.

I distanced myself from her, since she cannot even remember me, I stopped going to her house or inviting her to our house. My parents couldn’t get over what Nick suffered so they told friends and relatives that Nick died.

They couldn’t bear to look at Nick. They somehow hated Nick for what happened to him, he was crazy.

I couldn’t bear to be in the same house as they were. I couldn’t breathe, so I turned to music and focused on living this dreadful story behind me and become popular, the greatest there ever was.

Nick was confined to the lonely solitude of the top floors where he was hidden from everyone, I go on my life living like I didn’t have a brother who I almost killed.

I cry every night because of the pain and guilt it was causing me.

No one can know about this, they will never forgive me. Not now, now that I have risen to the top. I had good grades, my parents trust me, and I’m the most popular guy in school. It was just an accident, no one can know about this.

So what happened with Demi?

I’ve always questioned the thought that why did it have to be me pushing Demi and Nick, why couldn’t it be Demi? So that Demi would be the real one to blame.

Demi was always strong, she was always brave, and that was what I’ve always loved about her.

When Demi slightly recovered, the whole family went away.

They went away to be with her father abroad, I was so depressed at that time because not only did I lose my brother, I also lost a best friend.

Last year, Demi came back, she enrolled at our school and she looks like one of those transferee students who were so strange with everything, she doesn’t know that I knew her, and that I was her best friend.

I know my previous Pov’s contradict some of my statements here, but that was just me being me and this is me, showing you who I really am.

Demi was still so strong, so quick-witted and so beautiful now. But that scar on her arm, that long and ugly scar kept me from her. It was an everyday reminder of what I put her through. It reminded me of Nick. It reminded me of every bad thing that happened in my life that was why I shunned her.

I hated her.

I lied to her

I kept her away from me by hurting her.

But now Demi is on the run, and she’s searching to find the truth. Like I said she was smart, she would see past my games.