Part 16

Third Person P.O.V.

A lot can happen in a few hours. In the time, (Y/n) found out Fury was alive, Steve's friend from the 40s was alive, she was wanted by HYDRA which is why they came to her in the first place. She was drugged, punched, tired.  If she was never afraid. She had her team, and believed in them, in herself. It made the win against Pierce, against HYDRA, all the more satisfying. Until Steve was found, bloody and bruised on the side of a river bank. 'Trouble Man' played softly in the back as (Y/n) and Sam sat in his hospital room. "How much did I say while drugged?" (Y/n) asked Sam, looking at Steve's unconscious body. A drug meant to knock (Y/n) out was administered during the car fight, but it just made her loopy and unfiltered.

"You called Steve, 'Stevie,' told him his friend, the metal man, was a 'grump puss,' asked me if my hair was burned off, spun around in a chair cheering like a child, froze Natashas hand to to a table because she was trying to get you to stop spinning, and who can forget asking Fury what happened to his eye thousands of times." Sam answered. (Y/n) grimaced. "Oh."

"Don't think I'm not going to hold this against you forever." Sam smugly smiled at her. Then they hear, "On your left," and look over to see Steve was awake. "Oh, you're alive." (Y/n) said. "That's it? I'm alive?" The Asgardian nodded. "I didn't tell you to go throw helicopters around and get thrown into a river." Steve smiled at her. "I had to." She shook her head, but said, "I know. Now get better, there's always still work to do.

][][][][

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?" Fury asked Steve. "You get used to it." They looked down at Fury's gravestone. "We've been data-mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come."

"There's something I gotta do first." Fury nodded. "How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities."

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy."

"I guess it's too much to ask of you, huh (Y/n)?" He finally asked her. She smirked. "You'd be correct. I'm kind of over SHIELD, and no offense, you as well. I'm done with lies." He nodded once again. "Alright then." They all shook hands with Fury before Natasha walked up. "You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." She told them. "Not going with him?"

"No."

"Not staying here?"

"I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one." (Y/n) scoffed. "Covers are overrated." She smirked, but didn't respond. "That might take a while." Steve told her. "I'm counting on it. That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." Natasha handed Steve a file. "Will you do me a favor? Call that girl."

"She's not interested."

"And you're not a SHIELD agent." (Y/n) hid her smile from besides them, knowing who Natasha was referring too. She was interested, but she knew there was a much bigger story in play, one she didn't fit into. It just wasn't hers. She didn't want to be reduced to the mere love interest in her own life. "Be careful, Steve. You might not want to pull on that thread." Natasha said, pointing at the file. Steve opened the file as Natasha walked away. (Y/n) and Sam knew already that it was about Bucky. "You're going after him?" Sam asked. "You don't have to come with me."

"I know. When do we start?" (Y/n) smiled, holding out her hand for the file. "You're stuck with us. Can you handle that?"

][][][][

(Y/n) pointed to the small clip of Steve with his friend Bucky. Natasha had shown her the Captain America exhibit before she left, and (Y/n) had become rather fascinated with it. But it also made her sad. Right there was everything Steve had and lost. It must hurt. She asked Natasha, "Have you ever seen him smile like that? I wish I had. That Steve looks much happier. Don't you think he deserves that?" (Y/n) kept her eyes trained on the clip, looking lost in thought, but Natasha looked at (Y/n), wondering how she could be so blind. Natasha had seen him smile like that, only around one person. Sure, Natasha could just have said that, but she opted for another response. "He does deserve it. And he'll find it. Maybe it's closer then we think."

The pair when their separate ways after the museum. (Y/n) thought it was important she saw the exhibit, she knew more about she was walking into with this mission. Maybe it was wrong, or superficial, but she felt it was needed. The familiar buzz of her phone went off. She looked at it to finally see a reply from Darcy. 'Miss you too, he says. He also says that he's still not as annoying as you.'

(Y/n) smiled at the message. Finally something fun, not stressful. Not a mission, nor saddening news. For moment she couldn't care less about the mission, the grief and pain, or HYDRAs want for her. She was just content for a moment, and she sure as hell wasn't about to let it go.

'I was Loki's favorite for a reason'