Chapter 20

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I crouch in the corner of the Quinjet, my back to the team. Thor had come over some time ago to try and get me to talk, but I haven't uttered a word since we left the ship. Soon we land in some unfamiliar place. "What is this place?" I get up to look out the window. It's a vast open land with just a few buildings plotted on it. "A safe house?" Tony responds to Thor. "Let's hope." Clint says. We all leave the jet tensely, and walk inside the small home. "Honey, I'm home." Clint calls. A heavily pregnant woman enters the room, and is visibly shocked to see us. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead." Clint tells her.

"Hey." She kisses Clint. My eyes widen in surprise. I hear Tony mutter, "This is an agent of some kind."

"Gentleman, this is Laura." Clint introduces. "I know all your names." Laura admits. Incoming footsteps are heard. "Ooh, incoming." Two children run in, hugging Clint. "Dad!" Barton picks up the girl. "Hi, sweetheart!" He kisses the boys head. "Hey, buddy! How you guys doing?" Cute. Tony whispers to the team. "These are...smaller agents."

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The girl asks. I whip my head towards the woman in question who merely steps forward. "Why don't you hug her and find out?" The girl rushes towards her, and Natasha picks her up. "Sorry for barging in on you." Steve cuts in. "Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed." Tony remarks. "Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off SHIELD's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Clint explains. The family continues to have their moment, but I notice Thor leave the house. I follow him, Steve just behind me.

"Thor." Steve calls. "I saw something in that dream. I need answers, I won't find them here." He gets ready to leave, but I grab his shoulder to stop him for a moment. "You can't just leave." Even I think my voice sounds hollow. "Just stay here." He responds.

"Don't just order me around!" I shout. But then I realize I've lashed out, and the thoughts of my dream come to me. I let go, and speak shakily. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell, just...please be safe." He looks at me with great concern, but doesn't press. I see him look behind me, I assume at Steve, then uses his hammer to fly away. I start panicking, internally, and the grass around me becomes frosted and bits of ice form. I cross my arms over myself as I feel the frost from my eyes spread, and I fall to my knees. Stop it, stop it, stop it. Please stop it.

"Holy shit!" I hear Steve say from behind me. "You should run from me, Steve. I'm dangerous." I turn my head to look at him. I see his face turn to shock before quickly becoming sympathetic. He takes a step forward. "Stop! Don't you see me for what I am?" He continues. "You didn't see what I saw, Steve. I'm going to hurt you all. I should have known I was a monster from the moment I set foot on Midgard."

"They were meant to mess with our heads, (Y/n). You're not going to hurt us, and you're definitely not a monster." He puts a hand on my shoulder, I fall deeper towards the ground. "How can you be sure, Steve? You don't know me. I get stronger, and how much can I control?" I ask, desperately searching for an answer. "I don't know, but I know you will." That's not good enough for me, but I don't tell him that. Soon the ice has dissipated, but I still distance myself from Steve. "What did you see?" He asks carefully. "What did you see?" I retort. He doesn't respond, and doesn't press. "I need some time alone. I'll be back soon." I inform him, standing to disappear among the trees.

Third Person P.O.V.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked Steve, both men chopping up wood outside the Barton's house. "Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." Steve responded shortly. "Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him. Besides, you and Icy seem pretty tight knit." Tony shrugged. Steve spared him a small glance. "She didn't tell me anything either."