Part 18

(Y/n) P.O.V.

"Shit!" I hear Tony curse over the communicators. "Language! JARVIS, what's the view from upstairs?" Steve retorts. "The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other HYDRA base we've taken."

"Loki's scepter must be here." I decide aloud. "Strucker couldn't mount this defense without it. At long last." Thor adds. I give a nod to my brother admist the chaos of the battlefield. The snowy weather allows me to work with much less effort then usual, easily talking out soldiers with the ice and, of course, my bow. "'At long last' is lasting a little long, boys." Natasha says. "Yeah. I think we lost the element of surprise."

"Since when did you need element of surprise?" I retort to Clint. "Say you can keep up with me, but you still need surprise?" My jesting is cut off by Stark. "Wait a second. No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language?'"

"I know. It just slipped out." I frown slightly, knowing what he means. He'd said it to me a few times while searching for his friend, Bucky. I'd asked why it bothered him when I'd heard him swear as well. His response was it was a joke between him and Bucky. Bucky would swear like a sailor, and Steve always responded that way. Needless to say, I refrained from cursing around him. "Here Thor, have a gift." I call as I chuck one of the solider at him. He merely throws the man aside. "Thanks, I hate it."

"Rude." I tell him. "We have an enhanced in the field." Steve says. That's fantastic. Just great. So amazing. "Clint's hit!" Natashas worried voice says. I growl in frustration. "If he dies, I will never forgive him." I shout in response, refusing to accept another friend could die. "Stark, we really need to get inside." Steve orders. "I'm closing in. JARVIS, am I...closing in? Do you see a power source for that shield?" After a few moments he say, "Drawbridge is down, people." Steve runs up to Thor and I, which prompts Thor to ask, "The enhanced?"

"He's a blur. All the new player's we've faced, I've never seen this. In fact, I still haven't." Steve responds. "Clint's hit pretty bad, guys. We're gonna need evac." Natasha cuts in. "I can get Barton to the jet. The sooner we're gone the better. You and Stark secure the scepter." Thor decides. "I'll stay to help get the scepter." I add.

"Copy that." Steve agrees. Soldiers start to approach in tanks. "It looks like they're lining up." Thor notices. "Well, they're excited." Steve hold his shield up towards Thor. I plant myself to the earth with some ice, preparing for the blast. Thor hits Steve's shield with his hammer and the resulting wave of force knocks down all the soldiers. "Find the scepter." Thor orders before flying off. "Oh wow, thank you Thor, so confident in us." I mutter in annoyance. "And for gosh sake, watch your language!" Tony adds. Steve sighs. "That's not going away anytime soon." I shake my head, hiding my sympathy. "No, it's not."

"How are we looking?" Steve asks. "Sexy, but not like we're trying too hard. Like, sure, we're trying, but it's almost effortless." Steve frowns, unamused. "You've been around Clint too long." I shrug. "Maybe. He has that effect of people." Steve and I rush to the base, not taking long to find our target. "Baron Strucker. Hydra's number one thug." I keep my bow trained on him as a warning, blocking the entrance as Steve goes around to face his other side. "Technically, I'm a thug for SHIELD."

"Well then technically you're unemployed." Steve retorts. "Where's Loki's scepter?" I interrogate. "Don't worry, I know when I'm beat. You'll mention how I cooperated, I hope." Strucker says. "I'll put it right under illegal human experimentation." I notice movement in the corner of the room. A woman creeps in. "How many are there?" Steve asks. "Two. Behind you." I warn. It's too late as the woman uses some sort of red forcefield, reminding much of Loki's talents, to knock Steve down the stairs. I release the bow, but she stops it, flings it away, then flings me into a wall as well. She quickly disappears, but leaves Strucker behind. "We have a second enhanced. Female." I call. "Do not engage." Steve commands, reaching the top of the stairs again.