Chapter 28

(Y/n) P.O.V.

Devastation. Ruin. Pain.

Brunhilde could only take so many Asgardians on the escape pods, leaving many of our people dead at the hands on the mad titan.

Fear. Blood. Screaming.

I tried. I tried to stop him, but the infinity stone granted him power I did not possess. We all tried. Still, everything is on fire. My wounds from Hela have reopened. I've never felt weaker, more helpless, as my people were slaughtered.

"Hear me, and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan." One of the henchmen speaks for him, stepping over bodies as if they were nothing more then dirt. "You may think this is suffering...no. It is salvation. Universal scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile, for even in death, you have become Children of Thanos." He stands over me, looking me in the eyes. "Piss off." I spit at him, blood dripping from my mouth.

"I know what it's like to lose." The Titan speaks, standing at the window where we first saw his ship. "To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail, nonetheless." I see him grab Thor but the front of his armor. Thor stuggles feebly in his grasp, his body limp. "It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it run from it...destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say...I am."

I chuckle weakly from my place on the floor. "I don't even know what you're saying." I'm stalling. He drops Thor for a moment. He comes close, sitting me up by grabbing my face. "Hm...You've been dying slowly since the moment you were born."

"Yes, that's how aging works." I huff out. I can practically hear my brothers roll their eyes. "No, you rot on the inside. You suffer a great pain inside your head. What if I were to make it physical? It would be like dying of a literal breaking heart."

"You fear me that much, you refuse to fight me at my best?" I taunt. I'm lifted, and thrown into a wall. I yelp in pain. "You're...nothing. And you know it's true. You put on a mask to hide the hideous." He returns to Thor, hoisting him by his face. "You talk too much." Thor decides. Thanos looks to Loki, who stands with the henchmen. "The Tesseract, or your brother's head. I assume you have a preference."

"Oh, I do. Kill away!" Loki says. I look at Loki in shock. I know we cannot afford to give Thanos anything, but this? Thanos presses the gauntlet to Thor's left temple. The Power Stone glows brightly. Thor screams hoarsely. "Stop it!" I yell, standing and stumbling over. I attempt to move his hand away, which I ultimately know is foolish, but I cannot let my brother suffer. With his free hand, he grips me around my neck, cutting off air to my lungs. "All right, stop!" Loki shouts in protest. Thor stops screaming, I gasp for breath. "We don't have the Tesseract." Thor croaks out. "It was destroyed on Asgard." I add.

Loki glances at us like he knows something we don't. He lifts his right hand into the air and the Tesseract reveals itself. "You...really are the worst brother." Thor claims. I can't help but agree. Loki holds out the Tesseract to Thanos. "I assure you...the sun will shine on us again." Tears spring to my eyes, remembering that sunny day in the field so long ago. "Loki...don't." I warn. He casts me a glance as if to say it'll be alright. But it won't. I know it won't. "Your optimism is misplaced, Asgardian." Thanos tells him. "Well, for one thing, I'm not Asgardian. And for another...we have a Hulk."

Thanos looks to his right just as Hulk slams into him. Loki dives for Thor and I, pulling us all out of the way. The Hulk pummels Thanos, forcing him backwards and shoving him into the wall of the ship. I think the tide have changed until Thanos pries the Hulk's hands away, and turns the battle in his favor. Hulk is getting beaten until Heimdall mutters something. The Bifrost comes and sweeps Hulk away, hopefully to warn someone. However, it attracts Thanos' attention. He takes a sharp weapon from one of the henchmen, and stabs Heimdall through the heart, twisting the blade in the wound.