Chapter 34

(Y/n) P.O.V.

Steve and I sit next to each other, sat in a circle of seven other people. We had been running the therapy group together for some time. I didn't speak much, but I set the meetings up. I like to think it's partly in Sam's memory. "So I, uh... Went on a date the other day. It's the first time in five years, you know? I'm sitting there at dinner. I didn't even know what to talk about." The man, Joe, says. "What did you talk about?" Steve asks him.

"Same old crap, you know? How things have changed, and my job, his job...How much we miss the Mets. And then things get quiet. He cried as they were serving the salads."

"What about you?" Jim asks. "I cried," he pauses, "just before dessert. But I'm seeing him again tomorrow, so..." His words elicit a few chuckles. "That's great. These are positive steps for recovery. Every movement you take from here will makes things just a little bit easier." I praise, looking at Steve with a smile. Steve looks back at me, nodding in agreement.

"You did the hardest part. You took the jump, you didn't know where you were gonna come down. And that's it. That's those little brave baby steps we gotta take. To try and become whole again, try and find purpose. I went in the ice in '45 right after I met the love of my life. Woke up 70 years later. You gotta move on." He grabs my hand with the glinting ring on it. "Otherwise you miss what's right in front of you. Because let me tell you, I found her again." I smile at him fondly, hiding the sympathy and sadness. "Gotta to move on. The world is in our hands. It's left to us guys, and we got to do something with it. Otherwise... Thanos should have killed all of us."

=-=-=-=-=-=

"I wish everyone could have been as lucky as myself." I admit in the car heading over to see Natasha. "What do you mean?" Steve asks. "There are people that lost everything. Families, children, lovers. But me? While I did lose a lot, I still had you, and my brother. I had Tony and Nebula on the ship. I never had to be alone." He rests his hand on mine, and squeezes it before returning it to the wheel. "We can only help so many people at a time. You're right, a lot of people got it worse, but that should just make you grateful, not guilty." I smile lightly at his words, and look out my window. "Whales." I point out. He looks, smiling half heartedly. "That's new."

Once we get to the building, and get inside, we find Natasha talking to Rhodey. "It's probably a rival gang." They are talking about Clint again, I know it. He'd gone off the grid almost immediately, but the signs of his destruction were evident to Natasha. "Except it isn't. It's definitely Barton. What he's done here, what he's been doing for the last few years... I mean, the scene that he left..." I notice Nat start to tear up, which is something you have to see to believe. "I gotta tell you, there's a part of me that doesn't even want to find him." Rhodey finishes.

"Will you find out where he's going next?" She tries to hide her tears in her sand which. "Nat..."

"Please."

"Okay." Rhodey signs off, leaving Natasha to miserably try and hold back tears. Steve makes our presence known with, "You know I'd offer to cook you dinner but you seem pretty miserable already." She wipes her tears as she sees us. "It's true. He's terrible at it."

"The fact that either of you have made food that kept you alive is miracle. You here to do your laundry?" She jokes. "And to see a friend." Steve adds. "Clearly, your friend is fine." She remarks. "We saw a pod of whales while coming up the bridge." I say in attempt to cheer her mood. "In the Hudson?" She asks in surprise. "There's fewer ships, cleaner water." Steve lists. "You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side. Um... I'm about you to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich." She jokes. "Sorry. Force of habit."

Steve and I sit across from her. I feel worn down doing all this. Continuing to understand the extent of the damage when nothing can be done. It seems pointless, but then again, what else would I do? "You know, I keep telling everybody they should move on and... grow. Some do. But not us." Steve says.