The Accident

"Come on Scarlet or we'll miss the movie!" my friend Emily called, running ahead of me to the popcorn line. Her short sun dress billowing behind her as she ran, the colors blending together in a multi-colored rainbow. I wish I could pull off clothes like that.

"I'm coming!" I shouted as the cashier handed me back the change and our two tickets, and I quickly pocketed mine in the back pocket of my jeans. I then ran over to Emily handed her the rest of the money and her own ticket. She grabbed them without looking at me, gazing up at the menu above the food vendor in thought. After shoving the money in her purse, she lifted a hand and brushed a strand of her wavy blonde hair from her freckled face.

"I'll go ahead and grab us some seats. You get the popcorn, okay?" I said as I began to back away towards the movies. Emily nodded and I left her to her thoughts as I entered the hallway where the movies were playing. I slowly walked down, fiddling with my red work shirt, paying close attention to which door had which movie. Then I found it.

The Phantom of the Opera - 4:30

The Phantom of the Opera was probably one of my most favorite movies of all time and I was so excited to see it again on the big screen. Every Saturday, the movie theater plays old movies, or classics. The movies range from The Wizard of Oz to A Christmas Story and more. And this Saturday they were going to play The Phantom of the Opera. I wouldn't really call it a classic or an old movie, since it was only made in 2004, but, hey, at least I get to see it on the big screen one more time.

My name is Scarlet Moore and I am 22 years old. I have been a huge fan of The Phantom of the Opera for years. I've watched all the movies, and read all the books, and when I was younger, I even saw the Broadway show. The Phantom of the Opera is such a big part of my life, I don't know what I'd do without it. Emily is also 22 years old, same as me. She hasn't known the beauty and extremely haunting story as long as I have, but she still holds the tale in a special place in her heart.

I smiled, shoving the door inside and walked through the small hallway that lead to the movie screen, rushing slightly with excitement so I could get Emily and I good seats. Standing in the middle of the room I took a glance around. There were not many people here. Maybe 5 at the most, which made sense. No one really ever comes to these showings, but that made it easier to find a place to sit. I quickly, but quietly walked up the stairs to the middle of the theater and turned town the middle row, silently smirking to myself. Despite the fact that there were already some people here no one had yet to snag the best seats in the house. I grabbed a seat and sat down, looking up at the large screen, where a bunch of trivia questions and local commercials were playing. I hummed along to the tune of a familiar car commercial as I waited for Emily.

Two commercials and one TV promotion later, Emily finally arrived with the popcorn, bounding up the stairs with glee and walking down the isle to me.

"Did you put extra butter in it?" I asked quietly as she handed me the box.

"Of course I did, why wouldn't I?." she whispered as she sat down, "I'd be crazy if I didn't."

I chuckled and shook my head, "Just making sure," I mumbled back as I popped a few in my mouth.

"Hey!" Emily whisper shouted, reaching out and snatching the box from me, "Save it for the movie!" she giggled as she set the box down at our feet.

"I am!" I whisper shouted back as the lights began to dim. I grinned in excitement as the soft music began to play, and a yellow candle was lit aflame. I felt my heart soar as the movie started, reaching down and grabbing the box of popcorn while Emily was placing her phone in her coat pocket.

xXx

"Oh my gosh that was such a good movie!" Emily shouted as we left the theater, the door slamming behind us.

"Agreed," I replied as I finished off the last of the popcorn, throwing the now empty bag into a garbage can.

"Hey, want to come stay at my place tonight? I just went grocery shopping yesterday." Emily asked as we reached my car. I dug my car keys out of my pocket and unlocked the doors.

"You have food? Count me in!" I laughed as I got into the vehicle.

"Good, because guess what I have?" she asked me as she got in on the other side.

"What?"

"MORE POPCORN."

I snorted in laughter as I turned the keys to the ignition, feeling the car start up, "Oh, Emily, what would I do without you keeping me fed."

"You'd be living a sad life, nerd," she grinned and stuck out her tongue playfully as we buckled out seat belts, "Besides, I kinda owe you. You paid for the movie and all." I nodded as I plugged my small MP3 player into the AUX cord, scrolling through my playlist.

"The movies get more and more expensive every year! Next time we go to the movies you're paying!" I said as I quickly chose the Phantom of the Opera Soundtrack and placed the device into my cup holder.

Emily raised her hands up defensively, chuckling, "Ok, ok! I promise that I'll pay for the next one." Glancing behind me, I placed the car into reverse and slowly pulled out and left the parking lot.

I glanced at Emily out of the corner of my eye as we turned onto the highway and smirked, holding up my pinkie to her, "Pinkie swear?"

Emily rolled her eyes, but held up her hand and shook my finger with hers, "Pinkie swear."

For a majority of the drive, we were silent. Her house was 3 miles away so it was going to be a while. We used to live relatively close to each other, but when Emily moved out of her parents house and into her own apartment the drive to each other's home took longer than it used to. The music continued on as we drove, and I found myself softly humming to The Music of the Night as we continued.

After a while, Emily broke the silence with, "Scarlet?"

"Hmm?"

"Have you ever wanted to help the Phantom? And help him get Christine or something?"

I shrugged, "Yeah, sometimes. But I also want to help him with his whole emotional issues too. I mean, he never really deserved any of that. How he's been pushed away all of his life. How he was tortured. How he was betrayed. All because of his face. He doesn't deserve it. No one does. All I'd want to show him is that he's not alone in this world. No one is."

"Yeah... I kinda just wanna punch Christine in the face for being such a lil bitch."

I snorted at her response as we stopped at a red light. I sighed and relaxed a bit, never have been fond of driving. But it's the easiest way to get around.

"I'll pin her down, and you go for the eyes, ok?" i joked, and the two of us burst into laughter.

"Hey, what was the Phantoms real name again?" Emily asked through a laugh, turning to me.

"Uh, Erik Destler." I said as the light turned green and I slowly stepped on the gas.

"Yeah, that's right, cause I couldn't- LOOK OUT!"

Just to the left out of the corner of my vision, I saw the car advance on us quickly. I knew we were going to crash, we were too close to each other.

Then everything seamed to wind down, as if we were in slow motion. The car, a red truck was just an inch away from mine, towering over us like a skyscraper. Eyes wide, I looked up at the driver, who had his eyes closed, one hand on the wheel and in the other a beer bottle, which he was drinking heavily from. He wasn't wearing a seatbealt.

And then I felt it, the moment when the front of his car touched the left side of mine and time came back to us, as if it never slowed down.

His truck rammed into mine, smashing the back window and glass rained down. I felt us slide as his car pushed against our own. I could hear Emily screaming as we started rolling, the windshield smashing, my door pushing into me. We tumbled over the side of the road, and I slammed my head into the window and as we finally stopped moving my world went black, the music fading away into nothing.