A Tour Of The Opera House

I sighed slightly as I stood at my mirror in my bathroom, braiding my long brown hair and then tying it with a ribbon. Today was the day that the new stagehand would arrive, and I was supposed to show him around the opera house. I wanted to look presentable, so I dressed in my favorite dress. It was green with a yellow frilly apron tied at the front, and at the edges were white lace. The dress reminded me of home a bit. With the roaming fields of green grass and yellow mustard, and the cold freshwater lakes that I would spend the summers at. The water was so clear that you could swim out 30 feet and still see the bottom. My mom, Emily and I would laugh and play in the water when we'd camp, and then head back to our tent to dry off and eat dinner and s'mores. Then I'd sit in my chair and read a good book as the sky turned dark, and the campfire would warm my feet.

I missed home.

I shook my head clear of my thoughts and twirled my braided hair into a bun and pinned it. I looked myself over in my mirror and sighed, nodding my head.

"Good enough." I shrugged.

I walked out of my bathroom, heading to the door, when someone tapped my shoulder. My heart leaped into the air and I spun around ready to defend myself when I was suddenly face to face with Erik.

I sighed in relief, "Jesus Christ, Erik. I told you not to scare me like that!"

He chuckled, and I couldn't help but smile, "My apologies, mademoiselle, that was not my intent. I was wondering if you would be able to grab a cup of tea with me and we could discuss the piece that you will perform. It is coming along quite nicely, and I would like to know what you think of it."

My smile faltered, "I'm sorry, Erik, I can't right now. I'm supposed to show someone new today around the Opera House, since apparently I have 'nothing better to do'." I quoted Firmin, rolling my eyes, "Any other time I would love to, but I'm teetering on becoming late."

Erik tilted his head at me, "New? Who?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, I haven't met him yet," A bell tower outside the Opera House chimed 9, "Shoot. I'm sorry, Erik," I said as I began to back away, "I really have to get going."

Erik nodded at me, "Don't worry, I'll be right behind you, even if you can't see me." He smirked and held a finger up to his lips.

I smirked with him, "I wont tell if you wont."

xXx

Firmin and Andre were talking to a black haired man with brown overalls and a white shirt as I finally walked on stage, putting on a large grin and rushing over to them.

"Ah, there she is!" exclaimed Andre as I stopped before the three, "The lady of the hour! We were beginning to worry that you wouldn't make it."

I chuckled to myself and bowed my head as the black haired man stared at me, "I apologize for my lateness, monsieur's."

"It's nothing to worry about," said Firmin, "You're here now, and that's what matters."

"Mademoiselle Moore, this is monsieur Jacob Baseeri, the new stage hand," Andre introduced, "Jacob, this is mademoiselle Scarlet Moore. You are going to work alongside her, and she will be, how do you say, your tour guide for the Opera Populaire today. So that you can get antiquated with your surroundings."

Jacob nodded. His face wore a deep frown, his eyes slightly sunken in and the skin around them slightly red, his grey eyes almost hidden. His black hair was slicked back, a few wisps hanging against his forehead. If he wasn't smiling kindly at me, I'd say he wears anger on his sleeve. But then again, you can't judge a book by it's cover, so I smiled back and held out my hand.