Primavera

I stared at Erik in wonder as he led me down the spiral stairs, heading to his domain. I just couldn't believe what was happening. The Phantom of the Opera wants me to play for him? It was a dream come true.

"Watch your step now," The Phantom said as he helped me into the boat. I carefully sat down, the boat teetering underneath me, thanking him as I did so. Erik climbed in after me and pushed off from the shore.

"So, how long have you been playing the piano?" he asked as we sped along.

I turned to him, "I started when I was in elementary school, as an extra cariculative. I believe I was eight or so. The moment I laid my hands on the keys of the shitty school keyboard I couldn't stop," I smiled softly at the memories, "It was the only thing I could look forward to. I remember sitting at my desk and watching the clock, ready to go learn something new on the piano. My family was dealing with a bit of a hardship at the time. Piano was one of the few things I had," I said as we pulled up to the shore.

"I see." He climbed out and helped me up and out of the boat, "I know how that feels. I, too, turn to music during hard times."

"Must be handy in an Opera House, then," I smiled slightly when the familiar scent of candle wax rushed through my nose. With my hand in his, he led me towards his organ. He pulled out the bench for me and grabbed a stool for himself as I sat down.

"Now, I know it's not exactly a piano, but it's the best I've got. With Hannibal being so close, the Opera House is too overrun to use the practice room without being interrupted. Will this do?"

I nodded, "It will be fine, thank you, monsieur. Is there anything that you would like me to play?"

His eyes lit up and he reached over and grabbed some papers, placing them in front of me, "I would like you to play this piece. Is it alright if I sing it while you play? I want to know how it sounds."

I nodded, "Of course," I said and looked at the title.

Music of the Night

My eyes widened slightly and I read the title again, blinking wondrously at the curved letters on the page.

'He wants me to play Music of the Night? And he wants to sing while I play? No way, no way, no way! Calm down, Scarlet. Focus,' I took a deep breath and placed my hands on the keys. And as I started to play, the Phantom started to sing. I felt goosebumps rush down my spine; his words echoing around the cavern.

"Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation.

Darkness stirs and wakes imagination.

Silently the senses abandon their defenses."

I sighed slightly as he sang. His voice was so beautiful, so entrancing. I could barely keep my focus. His voice made me want to fall asleep.

'Fall asleep in his arms, you mean,' a part of my mind said. I mentally shook my head, my eyes widening to keep my mind clear, 'Stop it, dumbass. Get your mind out of the gutters.'

"Slowly, gently night unfurls its splendor.

Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender.

Turn your face away from the garish light of day.

Turn your thoughts away from cold unfeeling light.

And listen to the music of the night."

I looked over at him, noticing his shut eyes. He looked so peaceful, so calm as he sang. I bit the inside of my cheek and looked away. My fingers drummed over the keys. True, the organ was very different from the typical piano. The sound was loud and rang less clear, and there were more keys as well, but the music it played held just as much magic.

"Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams.

Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before.

Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar."

I could help but do so, my eyes closing softly as I felt the music ring around me. Goosebumps ran all over me. It was truly a different experience, being able to hear music of the night right next to who's singing it.

"And you'll live as you've never lived before.

Softly, deftly, music shall caress you.

hear it, feel it, secretly possess you,

Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind.

In this darkness that you know you cannot fight.

The darkness of the music of the night.

Let your mind start a journey to a strange new world.

Leave all thoughts of the life you knew before.

Let your soul take you where you long to be.

Only then can you belong to me."

I opened my eyes, turning my attention back to the organ. I had a funny feeling Erik was staring at me. I bit my lip, concentrating on the notes.

"Floating, falling, sweet intoxication.

Touch me, trust me, savor each sensation.

Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in.

To the power of the music that I write.

The power of the music of the night."

I slowly took my hands off the piano keys and back to him. He smiled down at me and nodded curtly, slowly reaching forwards and taking the music sheets.

"So, what did you think?" I asked.

"I think it was beautiful, mademoiselle," he said. I felt my cheeks warm up, and I looked away, pretending to fiddle with the ribbon on my dress.

"So," I started, breaking the silence, "Is there anything else of yours that you would like me to play?"

He thought for a moment, then shook his head, "No, but are there any pieces that you know? I would love to hear them."

I smiled, "Of course, monsieur," and placed my hands back on the keys. I closed my eyes as I started to play Primavera by Ludovico Einaudi. As I started to play, I imagined a long, winding road on a mountain side, and I was driving on it. The leaves of the trees seemed to blur together as I passed by. Next to the mountain there was a lake, full of crystal clear water and lonely fishermen, hoping that they will soon get a bite. It reminded me of home. Of the lonely countryside town surrounded by mountains, rivers, and lakes. As the music notes sped up, so did the speed of the car and the scenery.

Then suddenly the sun was gone, and it was dark. I was no longer driving andI couldn't see. I could feel wind rushing past me and I could sense that someone was next to me, but I couldn't turn my head and see who it was. I couldn't move at all. Only my fingers confined to play, I couldn't stop. The faint sound of a monitor began to play in my ears along with the music. I was confused and scared. I had no idea what was going on or where I was. And then...

CRASH!

I gasped and opened my eyes, quickly standing up and stumbling back and away from the organ. I could feel my heart racing inside me as I used a nearby table for support. I could faintly hear someone saying something, and I looked up into the worried eyes of the Phantom, just before everything went dark.

Please wake up.