Blushes

It was hard, getting into the boat. My teeth were chattering so viciously and I was shivering so much that I tipped, yelping as I almost dove head first back into the water. I had closed my eyes, ready to embrace the cold one again when an arm snagged around my waist and lifted me back up. I gasped at the sudden movement, my head swimming as I held onto Erik as tight as I could.

"W-W-Why is it s-s-so c-c-c-cold down h-here?" I asked him as I carefully sat down.

A small smile appeared at the corner of his mouth, "It's not cold, you're just very sick," he responded, covering my shoulders with his cape, "and I would advise you to not venture down here again without me by your side."

"O-Only if you s-s-stop stealing my t-t-things." I said back, "T-Then I swear I'll n-never do it again."

"Agreed." he said simply as he stepped into the boat, the long oar in his hands. I tugged the cloak closer around myself as we started moving, his scent drifting gently to my nose. He smelled of candle wax and pine, and for some reason it reminded me of home. Of when I would take a walk to the park and sit by the trees, listening to my favorite song and read a book, listening to the birds and bask in the wonders of nature. Then I would go home, light a simple candle and listen to more music. I smiled softly, tugging the cloak closer. The warmth that it provided for me was helpful, but sadly just wasn't enough as I could still feel goosebumps all over my body.

Everything seemed to move in a blur as we rowed along the river. I tried to focus on the water or maybe the stone carvings around me, but I couldn't stop thinking about home, Erik, Christine, or whatever else popped into my mind. The next thing that I knew, we had stopped moving as we bumped into the stone platform at the end of the stream.

Erik laid his oar inside the boat and then gracefully stepped out. The boat didn't even move as he did, it stayed perfectly still. There wasn't a single ripple. Bending over he picked up a piece of rope and tied it to a wooden post at the end of the dock, and then, wiping his hands on his pants, he reached a hand out to me.

I blushed at him, despite my efforts to keep a straight face. I took his hand and he led me out of the boat, his other hand against the small of my back. I blushed again and looked away from him after realizing that I was deeply looking into his eyes the whole time. They were very green, with specks of yellow and blue here and there. It looked as if the sun had exploded into blue and green fireworks, they were so vivid.

'Think of something else, think of something else.' I screamed in my mind, trying my best not to look back at him, knowing I was blushing like an idiot. I just hoped that if he noticed he would blame it on the fever.

"Let's get going, mademoiselle." Erik said. I nodded and took a step, my vision going blurry and my head swimming. I felt myself fall forward, and I put my hands before me to catch myself, a yelp escaping from my mouth. Then I felt Erik grab my hand, reach under my front, and suddenly I was whirled around, facing him. I felt like I was still falling as he held me there, my back bending slightly, our hands intertwined. My heart was beating so fast, and I felt as if it would never calm down again.

"Are you alright?" Erik asked, eyes roaming over me in worry.

"Your eyes are so green." I whispered. My eyes widened at what I had just said to him, "I-I mean, yes! Yes I am alright! My head was just spinning, that's all." I chuckled, waiving off my incompetence.

'Stupid, stupid, stupid!' I screamed on the inside as I stood up, trying to back away from him, but I stumbled yet again against the wet floor and fell into his chest. I gasped and looked up at him, and he smiled down at me as he held me.

"Do you need me to carry you?" Erik asked with a chuckle.

I looked up at him with wide eyes, "N-No! I-I'm fine!" I yelped, my face very warm. I tried to back away, but my blood ran hot and my head spun yet again. I hissed, standing as still as I could as I held my head, "I'm fine, really, Erik. J-Just give me a second and we'll be on our way."

He rolled his eyes and shook his head, "Obviously you're not fine, mademoiselle, you can barely walk." he said with a-matter-of-fact tone, and without a single warning he slipped a hand under my legs and lifted me into his arms. I squeaked as he did, my hand against his chest, and I just then realized how muscled his arms were, and how much of a mess I probably looked.

Erik then started walking up the stone steps, careful to make sure my head didn't hit the walls. I buried my head in his chest, feeling very embarrassed as we went.

Soon we were in the hall outside my room, and Erik opened the hidden door with ease, and slowly (to make sure that I didn't hit my head) brought me in. He walked me over to my bed and then slowly sat me down, taking the cloak off of my shoulders.

"You stay here and get dressed into warmer clothes, while I go and get Madame Giry. She must know that you are back and are ill." Erik told me, walking over to my closet and swinging the door open, whisking out my simple nightgown, then handed it to me, "I'll be back later to check on you." Then he left through the hidden door in my wall.

I stared after him, a hint of a 'thank you' upon my mouth, but he was gone before the words could reach the air. I sighed as I looked down at my dress, and then quickly started to undress out of my wet clothes. They stuck to my body as I struggled to get them off, and then I quickly pulled the soft and dry clothing over my head and onto my body, laying back in the bed and staring at the ceiling.

All of a sudden there was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" I yelled, shoving my MP3 player under my pillow.

Madame Giry quickly entered and closed the door, "What did I tell you, you silly girl! I told you to stay away from Erik, and now look at you! You look absolutely terrible!" She said, holding the back of her hand to my head. She huffed, "And you're running a fever!"

"Wow, thanks." I said, rolling my eyes as she went into my bathroom. For a few minutes I could only hear clanging, then I heard the bath running.

I shook my head as she rushed out of the bathroom, "Really, Madame Giry," I said, "I can take care of myself-"

She shook her head, waiving a finger at me, "Now, I will have none of that, my dear," she instructed a she helped me up from the bed, escorting me to the bathroom, "I am going to make sure you get better, whether you or I like it or not, and there will be no arguing on this matter."

XxX

Soon, I was out of the hot bath and into my bed, wrapped in my warm night dress. The warmth in my body had returned after the heat from the bath, and I sighed as I covered myself with my sheets.

"Madame Giry, what time is it?" I asked as I laid down, feeling sleep starting to take over me.

"Almost 9 o'clock." she answered as she tucked me in, "Have you had anything to eat?" she asked.

"No," I answered, feeling my stomach rumble with hunger.

She sighed, "I will get you some food, but then you must rest and regain your strength."

I nodded, my eyelids feeling droopy.

"I will be back," Madame Giry whispered as she left. But I did not hear, for I had fallen fast asleep, my dreams drifting to the wooded area by my home and of a man that smelled of pine trees.