I Worry About You

"Erik, where are you!?" Madame Giry yelled as she stormed down the hidden staircase and into Erik's lair, "I must have a word with you!" she finished as she slammed the one way mirror shut behind her.

Erik stopped his scribbling of the sheet music for a moment as he sat at his organ, then continued without looking up, "Ah, Antoinette, how are you?" he mumbled dryly, dipping his quill in ink.

Antoinette strolled over and stopped behind him, "I need to talk to you." she said simply, tapping her foot on the stone impatiently.

"About what?"

"You know exactly what!" she snapped, placing her hands on her hips, "I know you were listening behind the walls! You always are!" she shook her head, rolling her eyes, "You are the eyes and ears of the Opera Populair, nothing happens up there that you don't know about. So don't play dumb with me, Erik."

Erik sighed and softly set down his quill, "Well, then, if I know what you're going to say, then by all means leave me be, for I have no need to hear it again."

"You can not see that girl again, Erik. I won't allow it." Giry's tone had dropped, and she pointed a stern finger at him.

Erik finally turned towards her, gently pushing Giry's finger out of his face, "Then please explain why, for I have no clue as to why you are being so brash towards the both of us."

"I'm just looking out for you Erik. For both of you."

Erik shrugged, "I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself, and I'm sure she is as well."

"I know that, it's just," Antoinette sighed and her arms fell to her sides, "We don't really know anything about this girl. She appears here literally out of nowhere and says that she doesn't remember anything about her past," Erik looked away for a moment, "She has no one. And if something were to happen to her, or to you-"

Erik looked back up at her, tilting his head, "You say she has no one, but the moment that she begins to become my friend you change your mind and shield her from me."

She held up a hand to stop him, "That's different-"

"How so?" he interrupted.

"You're dangerous."

"Oh, wow," he said sarcastically, rolling his eyes, "It totally slipped my mind, how much of a terror and a monster I am. And yet, you're still here. Just to keep me focused on that fact and to never, ever forget it." Erik smiled, lifting his hands in the air dramatically before crossing them over his chest, "But thank you so much for reminding me. I really appreciate it, Antoinette."

"Don't be smart with me, Erik." she snapped, "You know that's not what I meant."

"Then please explain to me what you truly meant to say. Why in the world must I stay away from the one person that actually might care about me? If you really care about me so much then why are you forcing her away from me? I make one friend and you think that I am going to kill her!" he snapped back, spinning back around and crumpling the sheet of music that he was working on without a second thought. His shoulders shook as he slowly breathed, closing his eyes and trying his best to stay calm.

'I don't have time for this,' Erik thought to himself, 'Why did she have to come and bother me? Is it too much to ask for some time alone to write a simple Opera?'

Madame Giry sighed and sat next to him, "I just don't want something to happen to her, and leave you broken hearted. And vice versa."

Erik looked to her, "You say that as if I'm in love with her. You know fully well that I love Christine."