No Matter How Long It Takes

Two Months Ago

Erik could only stare at his empty hands, trembling at the spot where Scarlet had just been. He could almost still feel her in his arms, and he was afraid to move them.

"Oh don't you see..."

His breath trembled as he slowly looked around him with wide eyes, "S-Scarlet?" he whimpered, "Scarlet?" He listened as hard as he could, but his ears were beginning to ring, and he was beginning to panic. His head whirled back and forth as he peered into the darkness. The shadows played with his mind as he searched for her, her face appearing everywhere, but he'd blink and she'd be gone. And that song was still playing, messing with his mind. He tried to ignore it, the ringing in his ears growing louder.

"That lonesome dove..."

"Scarlet!" Erik shouted, standing up. He hyperventilated as he turned on the spot, 'She was just here! How could she just be gone!?' he thought to himself, 'She can't be gone! I just got her! I can't be alone again!'

"Sitting on an ivy tree... She's weeping for..."

He turned, staring down the tunnel, and he could only think one thing.

'She's there,' he thought, grabbing his bag off the ground and taking a step forward, 'I know it. She's there, at the end of the tunnel.' He rushed forwards, sprinting as fast as he could. Tears fell down his face, and he didn't care the slightest that he could barely see. He could only think of her, and the hope that she would be there.

"Her own true love..."

'I know she's there! She has to be!' he thought as he ran, ears ringing so loud that he could barely hear his thoughts over them and the music, 'How cruel!' he ran faster, 'How cruel! To put her in my life; in my path, then rip her away! Please! Let her be there! Please!'

"As I shall weep for mine..."

His eyes widened as the end of the tunnel came faster than he expected, the sudden light blinding him as he burst from the end of the tunnel and into a world of green and warmth. He panted as he skidded to a stop, almost falling to the ground as he looked around him. He was suddenly surrounded by trees and wildflowers, the bright green calming him slightly as he gazed around. The music had stopped, the ringing in his ears dying down to nothing as he gazed around him. Butterflies and bumblebees flew past him, birds twittered overhead as he looked up at the darkening sky, day soon turning to night. At once he knew that he was no longer at the Opera House, nor in Paris. Last he could remember, it had been January and all of Paris had been covered with snow the night of his Opera. Now the world was warm and green, the day here not quite over yet.

But the only thing he could think about was that he was still alone. Scarlet was not here with him. He's breath quickened once more, and he turned around to head back into the tunnel. Perhaps she was at the other side, at his home, but instead he was met with the grassy side of a hill. The tunnel had disappeared. He looked up, spying the edge of a sunset behind the mound of green before him, and immediately he began to climb, eyes growing wide when he spotted the golden orange sunset before him. He couldn't help but stop and stare at it, he had never seen anything like it before. He was not one to be out during the day, let alone the evening. He had never seen a proper sunset before, having always had to hide away. There were colors of red, orange, and gold, casting everything before him in a warming glow. Before him he spied a large town tucked in a valley, the lights of the town twinkling as twilight slowly crept closer. Erik did not think twice, immediately rushing down the hill as fast as he could towards the town, stumbling onto an odd road. It was not made of cobblestone, but of dark black rock with strange yellow lines in the middle.