Il Muto

'Oh god, I can't believe that I am doing this,' I thought to myself as Simon and I stood up on the rafters. The show was going to begin in a couple minutes and I already dreaded what was to come. Buquet has already been given his orders to look out for the Phantom and was a couple rafters below us, slowly looking around him, keeping a sharp eye out for anything odd. I glanced at Simon and felt my chest tighten with fear and anticipation.

'I should be doing this on my own,' I thought to myself, 'This is my fight." But I felt my gaze soften as I stared at him, the memory of his kind smile and sweet eyes staring at me as we talked our plan over rushing through my mind. He seemed so eager to help me, and I had asked for his help, after all, 'You can do more with a friend and a stick than you can with just a stick.'

"Ok, Simon," I whispered, turning to him, "I don't exactly know which one of the rafters they'll be on, but when we see them, get to Buquet as fast as you can before the Phantom does. We need to get in between them. I'll talk to the Phantom and try to get him to stop, you will talk to Buquet and get him out of there."

"But what about you?" Simon asked, worry etched all over his face.

"You will be with me. But I need to talk to him. If you do it he'll just kill you to get you out of his way." I shrugged, looking around for any sign of him, hoping he wasn't listening to us.

"But why won't he kill you?" Simon questioned. Memories flickered through my mind, of the piano playing, of him taking me down to his lair and healing me. I could still feel his warm hands on my shoulder, despite the damp coldness of the lair. His kind smile and caring eyes behind his porcelain masks. I knew that he cared, and perhaps he would listen to me, perhaps he would listen to reason.

I shook my head, "I just don't think he will." I said. We have had so many good moments. Why kill me just because we had a few bad ones.

'Why kill Buquet just because he wants to?' my mind asked back. I shook the thought away and stood up straighter as I could hear the instruments as they started to warm up. The show was about to begin. I took a deep breath as the music started, revealing the large crowd below, whispering and shushing each other as the music started, and the three maids walked on stage, Meg soon following behind them.

"Here we go," I whispered as I watched them bow, shaking their colorful fans as they grinned at the audience. I saw a movement out of my peripheral vision and Simon took my hand in his.

"Don't worry," he said as I looked up at him, "I'm going to be with you all the way."

I smiled and warmth rushed through me, despite Simon's cold hands. I nodded at him and I let go of his hand, turning my direction towards Buquet below us. I wanted to thank him, but the words wouldn't come to my mouth.

"They say that this youth has set my Lady's heart aflame!" Sang one of the maids, turning to another with a grin. He rolled his eyes at this, shaking his head.

"His Lordship sure would die of shock!" he belted.

"His Lordship is a laughing stock!" sang another.

"Should he suspect her, God Protect her!"

"Shame, shame, shame!" The four of them wagged their fingers, the audience giggling slightly.

I looked down and noticed that Buquet had spotted Erik switch out Carlotta's throat spray with something else, and vanished without a single sound, as if he was never there in the first place. Buquet started to walk back and forth on the rafter, trying to spot him again.

"Buquet spotted the Phantom," I said to Simon. He nodded, looking around wildly as he pulled a rope that opened the curtain that hid Carlotta and Christine. The audience applauded as they were revealed, 'kissing' behind Carlotta's fan. I looked back down and saw Erik in the shadows near Buquet, watching him. Barely moving an inch, I stiffly taped Simon's arm with the back of my hand, and pointing down at the Phantom I mouthed the word, 'There'.