The Pavilion

"Have a nice day!" I said as I handed the customer their items. They smiled and nodded at me, then turned away walking out of the shop, the bell jinggling against the door as it closed behind them.

I sighed, turning away and left my station at the counter. Slowly I walked around the store, checking instruments and adjusting the C.D.'s and albums to pass the time. I passed by a violin on display, lifting it up and holding it in my arms, plucking the strings and listening for anything out of tune. I looked ahead, staring at the piano section. I could feel my heart pulling for them, my fingers itching to play something, anything.

I shook my head and placed the violin back on it's stand, making my way back to the counter where I picked up the remote to the speaker system, turning the music up slightly as I sat back on my stool at the register. I tilted my head, relaxing as I listened to Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi.

"How's the shop doin'?" asked my manager, Beth, sticking her head out of the office door, "Nothing shady goin' on? No instruments out of tune?"

I smiled gently as I spun my stool to face her, "Everything's good, Beth. I probably should dust a few things, but other than that it's been pretty slow."

"Alright!" said Beth cheerily as she walked out of the office, handing me the keys, "Well, I'm off. Don't forget to lock up and set the alarm-"

"Ah, shucks," I said smugly as I took them from her, "I was really hoping to sell everything overnight and take a super nice vacation or whatever."

Beth rolled her eyes, smacking me on the side of my head playfully as she walked past me, "Haha." she said, making her way to the door, "Well, if you do, then I'm afraid we will have to battle to the death, for you have forsaken my sacred store."

I snorted and lazily put my chin in my hands, resting my elbows on the counter, "Ah, I shall retrieve my sword, then."

Beth snickered, then turned to look at me, "Have a good night, Scarlet." she said, then exited the building, the bell jingling gently.

"You too, Beth." I called after her, then turned back to the counter and grabbed some albums lying to the side, carefully flicking through them.

"Ah, Fleetwood Mac or Elton John?" I whispered to myself, looking between the two. As I placed Fleetwood Mac back in the bin, I was alerted when the bell jingled again, hearing the door open behind me as I spun to the record player against the wall behind me.

"I'll be with you in just a minute." I called out, slipping the vinyl out and placing it on the record player, dropping the needle and smiling slightly as 'Funeral For a Friend' began to play. I turned down the volume slightly, while pausing the stereo playing Ludovico.

"Do you have any music sheets from the Phantom of the Opera?" a man asked. I paused, my slight smile falling. I could feel my heart begin to race as I spun around, but relaxed as I was met with the face of a middle aged man with greying hair, brown eyes, and tan skin, "I'm a music teacher," he continued, smiling brightly, "And half of my class had been asking to perform the 'Phantom of the Opera Overture' all last year. Would you have it?" he asked.

I smiled and nodded as I stood up from my seat, "Of course we do!" I said cheerfully, "Right this way, sir."

Of course, after my experience at the Opera Populair itself, I knew exactly where the music sheets were. I used to read them at least once a day, to remind myself that it was real and that I had been there. I would hum them to myself, and reminisce about all the good times I had. But it also brought me back to him, and it made me miss him more than I could bear. Soon I had put the book away all together, avoiding the music sheet part of the office as much as I could.