Down Once More

My head snapped up to the ceiling, my eyes wide as I stared at the shaking chandelier. Throughout all the worry I had created for myself during the preparation and production for this night, I had completely forgotten about the chandelier. And I was currently standing in it's landing zone.

The sounds of people screaming were all around me, but I froze where I stood, blood running cold as I stared up at the chandelier. In an instant it hung there, creaking and groaning. Then in a flash it broke away from the ceiling and dropped towards the audience. People shouted and scrambled away as it came towards us, musicians leaping out of the pit and running past me, but I couldn't move an inch. It was like I had been glued to the spot, forced to watch my impending doom barrel towards me as the chandelier's chain ripped through the ceiling.

Reyer's shouting broke me out of my horrified daze. As quickly as I could I leapt up onto the stage, pulling myself onto it then sprinted towards the curtain just as the chandelier crashed into the orchestra pit. I couldn't help but scream, glass pieces and bits spiraling past me as it shattered, the gas lamps igniting against the floors, chairs, and discarded instruments and a roaring fire quickly broke out. My attention was grabbed, however, when I heard shouting coming from the striped curtain, Carlotta and Piangi stumbling out of it. Carlotta was crying, hugging and kissing Piangi while he looked around in a horrified daze at the fiery scene, rubbing his head.

"Oh, Piangi, my love!" Carlotta called to him, as she grasped his clothes in a vice, "I thought you were dead, mia luna!"

Piangi turned to him, "My love, I am alright! I was simply knocked out, it's alright, I'm here, mie stelle!"

I blinked at the sight of Piangi alive and well, but feeling the burning heat against my neck and the familiar smell of burning wood reaching my senses I shook myself out of my stupor and rushed over to them and quickly shoved them backstage.

"Come on, you two!" I shouted, "The building is on fire! You need to get out of here!"

Carlotta looked at me, eyes wide, "Oh, mio musicista! Are you alright? De chandelier, it fell right where you were!"

I nodded, "Yes, I'm fine! You two, take the exit in the back by the stables, quickly! And usher people out with you if you can! This building is old and dry, it's going to burn quick and fast-"

Piangi shook his head, "But mademoiselle, what about you?"

"I'll be fine," I reassured, "Just get out of here!" and I rushed away, making my way towards my room, knowing that Madame Giry and Raoul were using the Prima Donna passage.

Just as I was about to enter the hallway my arm was roughly grabbed and I was whisked around, looking up into the face of Jacob Basseri.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked, eyes wide, "The building is on fire!"

"Then get out of here!" I shouted, "Let me go, Jacob! That's none of your-"

He glared, "You're going to him, aren't you?"

My eyes widened, his grip growing tighter, "W-What are you talking about?" I stuttered, "Jacob, let me go."

"Ever since I came here I knew there was something off about you," he drawled, his face getting closer to mine, "I've been watching you from afar. I've seen you with him. With the Phantom. When you two would talk in the rafters, and play in the middle of the night in the practice room. I was there. I was there, watching you. And all of this?" he looked around us, the feeling of increasing warmth and smoke coming towards us, glass shattering and people screaming and shouting, "This is all your fault."

I paled, but shook my head, squirming to get out of his grip, "It's not like I knocked down the chandelier, Jacob. It was that officer, what a cheap shot-"

"Oh, you'll pay for this!" he growled, gripping me tighter, pulling back towards the exit, "Imagine the manager's and the police's surprise when I tell them that you were helping him the entire time! Imagine what they'll-"

I saw red, my right fist swinging around and making it's target against his face, "I said let go of me!" I screamed at him. He stumbled, blinking rapidly, then fell to the ground with a loud 'thud' and moved no more.

I panted, looking up into the stunned, but smirking face of Buquet as he stared down at Jacob. His hands were balled into fists, and I blinked in wonder at the sight of him as I rubbed my stinging hand.

He nodded softly, "Glad someone punched him, just too bad it wasn't me."

I paused, then shrugged, "Well, it was about time I punched someone, I think."

He looked up at me, "That sounds about right, mademoiselle."

I blinked, my mouth gaping like a fish, before I spat out, "He's not going to be able to get out of here on his own. Make sure he leaves the building, alright? And take anyone else you see stuck in here as well."

"And you?"

I shook my head, "I... I have a different exit. Don't worry about me, Buquet." And I turned to make my way towards my room, when I was once again stopped.

"Scarlet, wait, please," Buquet called out to me. I turned to look at him, he shook his head, "Thank you."

"For what?" I asked, confused, eyeing the glow coming from behind him, the roar of the fire growing louder by the second.

"For the second chance."

My breath hitched, and for the first time in a while I really looked at him. He was wearing clean and neat clothes, face shaven, hair pulled back into a neat ponytail. I couldn't even smell a hint of alcohol on him. He looked different, new, reborn.

"I-I don't..." I stuttered, looking him up and down, "I don't understand."

"That night in the rafter's with Simon and the Phantom, and afterwards when you told everyone that it was an accident-"

"Well, it was-"

Buquet shook his head, "It wasn't to me. And then you just... defended me. After everything that I had done to you, to everyone, to Simon. It made me realize how... horrible of a person I was. And I am truly, very sorry. Of all the times that I have harassed you, and left during rehearsal, or bothered you. And I'm so sorry for Simon. If I never... If I had just-" tears filled his eyes, his lip quivering.

I shook my head, rushing forwards and grabbed the man, pulling him into a hug. His breath hitched, then slowly he hugged me back, shoulders shaking.

"I forgive you, Joseph." I whispered, then pulled away, "Believe me when I say that I don't blame you for his death, at all. It was simply an accident. It's going to be ok. Get him, and get out of here, ok.?" he nodded, wiping his eyes as he leaned down and lifted Jacob over his shoulders, "Stay safe, be good, alright?" I told him.

He smiled, nodding, "Of course. That's all I wish to be."

XxX

I shoved my door open and sped towards the secret door in the wall. I reached up and pressed the hidden button, the door in the wall swinging out, revealing the dark passage. I coughed as I stared into it, my room filling with smoke. I turned around, staring at it one final time. This was the room that I had woken up in, where Simon and I had discussed confronting the Phantom, and where Madame Giry and Erik took care of me when I had gotten sick. I had lived a life here. And in the span of 24 hours I had to say goodbye to it, to everything and everyone.

I sighed and turned back around, staring into the darkness, and I could faintly hear Erik's singing reverbing through the tunnels.

"Down once more to the dungeons of my black despair... down we plunge to the prison of my mind..." His voice echoed and warped, yet I could hear the anger and pain in his words. I nodded, courage filling my veins as I strolled into the catacombs, the cool and damp air greeting me as I closed the door behind me, the light from the Opera Populair disappearing.

"Down that path into darkness deep as Hell!"