A Dance Around the Memory Tree

Authors Note: Scarlet is going to play a song in this chapter called A Dance Around The Memory Tree by Oren Lavie. Feel free to listen to the song as you read, I wrote it so it matches along. I'll put in a little clue for when you can begin the song, it'll look like this (

xXx

Arriving back at the Populair I stormed inside and walked quickly up the grand staircase. But as I reached the top of the stairs I felt an arm reach out and grab me, yanking me aside and almost knocking me into their chest before I caught myself, and I looked up at Firmin as he grinned down at me.

"Ah! Mademoiselle Moore! I apologize for startling you! It's so nice to see you alive and well! I heard from Madame Giry that you have been ill for quite some time, yes?"

Still quite startled from being yanked on so suddenly, I nodded my head and choked out, "Y-Yes, I was. But, I'm feeling quite better now," I put on a sincere smile, while on the inside telling my beating heart to slow down, "I do appreciate your concern, Monsieur."

Firmin let out a booming laugh before taking my arm in his and began to lead me into the auditorium and towards the stage where a group of Ballerinas were practicing. My arm was gripped in his so tightly that I couldn't pull away, "It was a good thing that Andre and I let you have a break for La Dame Blanche, isn't it? We wouldn't want you to fall ill during the production and get everyone else sick, now would we?"

My face turned red and I looked down at the floor as we walked, as I was still a bit upset that they forced me to remain out of the production, "Yes, indeed."

Monsieur Firmin chuckled and patted my hand, "Do not worry. I swear that you will be in the next one. Trust us, mademoiselle, a well deserved rest is exactly what a woman like you needs. What, with working so hard, and in a man's job of all things."

I blinked, quite taken aback by this statement, but Firmin continued before I could put in a word about it.

"Oh! And that reminds me!" Firmin exclaimed as we stopped walking, "We are going to have a new stagehand join us next week, and someone needs to give him the grand tour of the place and backstage before he starts, and I believe that you would be perfect for the job! Since you currently have no duties to keep you busy, it would be perfect if you gave him a tour. Will you do it?" he asked, giving me a big smile and raising his eyebrows at me.

My eyes widened at his question, but seeing how hopeful he was that I'll do it, I sighed and nodded my head, smiling. Why not, it's not like I had better things to do.

Firmin grinned, "Brilliant! When he arrives, I will introduce you! Just wonderful! Oh, and another thing, Andre and I are planning the annual Masquerade Ball as a end of the year celebration and I insist that you attend! In fact, with your beautiful piano skills, you should even play a piece for the audience, yes? Oh, it will be such fun!"

I opened my mouth to say something, but he cut me off with, "Oh, there's Andre! I apologize, mademoiselle, for I must take my leave. Good day!" before walking past me to join Andre at the front of the stage. The two talked together before Andre looked back at me with a grin, and turned back to Firmin and nodded his head. I smiled at them in politeness, but once they had turned their attention away from me I huffed in annoyance and turned around, picking up my dress slightly and left the auditorium.

I walked and walked until I finally made it to my room. I opened the door and walked in, slamming it shut behind me. I stared down at the yellow rose, it's petals tipped with red as it sat on my bedside table. I sighed and walked over to it and picked it up, twirling it in my fingers. I began to think about today's events. How Christine has suddenly become suspicious of me, how I agreed to show someone new around to Monsieur Firmin, and how he invited me to the masquerade ball to play in front of everyone, and just the thought of that alone made me shiver. I hadn't played in front of an audience in years.