Hannibal

Today is the day. Today was the day that we were going to perform Hannibal in front of a live audience. And more importantly, this is going to be my first time working a show as a part of the set crew, or even working a show at all, so everything has to be spot on. The sounds of people crowding into the auditorium rung around us like church bells. I stood nervously next to Simon as the cast and crew had gathered together around the managers.

"I know you are all going to do well tonight!" Andre called out boisterously, "So get to it and give it your best!"

Firmin nodded, his hands crossed behind his back, "Yes, good luck tonight everyone!" And the two of them spun on their heels and glided away towards their boxes, chattering all the while. The rest of us stared after them in confusion, apparently the managers giving the cast and crew a pep talk was not a normal thing, before Reyer, Giry, and Bayard turned to their respective groups and began to shout orders.

"Alright, you heard them! Let's put on a good show tonight!" shouted Monsieur Bayard, "All stage hands into positions!"

With Simon behind me, and Joseph close behind we climbed up the stairs and to our posts. Joseph left us and went to the rafters above the two of us. Quickly, the two of us began our work. Most of Scene One was already set up and ready to go, so we prepared for Scene Two, tugging ropes and pulling props into position.

Looking down, I could see the stage several feet below me, along with an auditorium full of people greeting and meeting each other, all while trying to find their seats. Looking up I could see the grand chandelier and the beautiful french rococo painting surrounding it. I sighed at the sight of it, wondering what it would be like in the middle of it all, and not in a corner behind the curtains.

I shook my head, Simon and I working with each other as the orchestra began to warm up.

XxX

It was nearing the end of the production, and Christine's aria was coming up. I couldn't wait to hear it. I grinned, looking down I could see Christine on stage, dressed in her beautiful white gown and curling brown hair pinned with sparkling white flowers. She looked so gorgeous. I could see why Erik took to her so well. She looked like a star. With the tap of the conductor's wand, Christine began to sing.

"Think of me.

Think of me fondly,

When we've said goodbye.

Remember me.

Once in a while,

Please promise me you'll try.

When you find,

That once again you long,

To take your heart back and be free.

If you ever find a moment,

Spare a thought for me."

The orchestra swirled, the audience clapping. Even up here I could feel the power of the music in my chest. Christine sounded so lovely, her voice really did sound like angels. The movie did not do her justice. Standing right above her, her voice echoed around us, ringing like bells. It was truly better in person. Clearly, the Phantom taught her well.

"We never said our love was evergreen,

Or as unchanging as the sea.

But if you can still remember,

Stop and think of me"

Looking around, all of the other stage hands were abandoning their posts, and trying to get a look at the new Prima Donna. I smirked and rolled my eyes, turning my gaze to Simon who had also stopped what he was doing to look down at her. I chuckled, turning my gaze back to Christine and let the music take over me.