The Shoe

By the time that The Phantom and I reached the surface, it was already dark. It was quiet and desolate, as if we were the only beings in the building. Erik took a glance down the hallway we had arrived in, then began to escort me to my room after making sure no one would be headed our way and run into us.

"This is where I leave you," said the Phantom, attempting to make eye contact with me, "Are you sure that you'll be alright?"

I nodded my head, "Yes, I'll be fine. I can take care of myself." said as I dug through my pockets for my room key to avoid his gaze. I could feel my cheeks growing warm as he stood over me.

'God, can I be anymore of a complete dork? Where is my damn key?'

"Well, if you shall ever need my presence, just call my name."

I looked up at him, "And just what is your name?" I asked. Of course, I already knew it. I just wanted to hear him say it himself.

He blinked, fumbling for a second, "T-That is none of your business," he said, his voice monotone.

I crossed my arms, "Then how am I supposed to 'just call your name' if I don't even know it?"

He didn't answer at first, stumped by my question.

"Just call me Phantom."

Inwardly I sighed, but nodded my head, "Alright, Phantom. Well, I'll see you later. Have a good night."

Erik smiled and gave me a slight nod, "You too, mademoiselle." and in a blink of an eye, he was gone, melting into the inky blackness as if he was a shadow. I smiled and turned to my door having finally found my key. I placed my key into the lock and gave it a twist, the door opening with a slight squeal. I sighed, taking off my shoes and holding them in hand, ready to toss them to the side and get ready for sleep.

Then a cold, clammy hand grabbed mine, and yanked me away from my doorway, the door closing behind me with a slam. I gasped out of surprise and looked up towards the alcohol stenched body of Joseph Buquet.

"And what are you doing up so late?" he slurred, holding me tight as I glared up at him, "I have been looking for you all evening. I have quite the bone to pick with you and that rat, Simon."

With the flick of a wrist I dropped a shoe, and tightly grasping the other, I swung my arm up and whammed my shoe into Buquet's face. With a cry of pain he let my arm go and, grabbing my other shoe, I sped off down the hall.

"Get back here!" I heard him shout behind me, and I knew I wasn't going to make it. Him being inebriated might have given me the upper hand, but he was bigger and faster than I was. I had to hide. I turned a corner and spotted a pile of crates up ahead. I threw my shoe ahead of me to look as if I had continued on and had dropped it, then quickly dove behind the crates and got into a tight corner. I put a hand over my mouth, my heart pounding so fast and loud, I was sure that Buquet would hear it. I turned my head as Buquet turned the corner. He slowed down and took a glance at my shoe, chuckling and continued down the hall. A couple of minutes passed before I had the courage to stand up, checking and listening for any sign of Buquet. I grabbed my shoe, and as quickly and as quietly as I could I sped back towards my room.

I sighed with relief as I closed the door behind me, locking it. I was finally in my safe zone. I practically jumped out of my dress, threw my nightgown on and leapt into my bed. I sighed as snuggled under the covers, quickly drifting off into sleep.

But the next day came so quick. Before I knew it I was up and dressed for another day. Throwing on a yellow dress and putting my hair into a bun, I left for the kitchen. I sped into the room, grabbed a plate and some food, and sat myself down next to Christine and Meg.

"Good morning, girls!" I called, the two greeting me back delightedly, "How is that dress of yours going, Christine?" I asked as I took a bite of oatmeal.

"Oh, it's almost finished. Just a few more touches and it will be done," she said, "Oh! I'm so nervous! What if I mess up? I'll be the laughing stock of all of France!"

I scoffed, "Nonsense! I know you'll do great." I said.

"Really?"

"Mmmhmm," I hummed, nodding my head with a smile, "Just you wait, you'll get a standing ovation for sure."

Christine smiled back, "Thank you, Scarlet."

I shrugged, "Besides, even if you mess up, which you won't, you'll still be better than Carlotta Giudicelli." Christine and Meg giggled.

"Oh definitely!" said Meg, "Anyone is better than her. Anyone is nicer than her, at least."

"Hey Scarlet?" whispered Christine, leaning in close, "What's up with you and Buquet? He seems to have a grudge against you. He's been glaring at you this whole time."

Looking behind me, my eyes met the cold, yet burning gaze of Buquet's, who was sitting a row behind me. I quickly spun back around at the burn of his eyes, eating my meal to distract myself.

I glanced up at Christine, mumbling, "Well, I may or may not have whacked him in the face with my left shoe last night."

Christine's and Meg's eyes opened wide, "What?!" Meg whispered, "You didn't!"

"Hey!," I pointed my fork at her, "He grabbed me first! Nobody touches me without my permission," I shook my head and stood up, grabbing my plate, "Anyways, I should be heading over to my station. I'll see you two later. Good luck with rehearsal."