Keep Your Mouth Shut

I looked around the Opera House's Auditorium as the many workers of the Opera Populair started filling in for the announcement of the next opera from Monsieur Reyer and Madame Giry. Everyone piled into the fancy, crimson seats of the front of the stage, nervously talking to each other. Everyone bustled with excitement and fresh gossip as people found their friends. Carlotta was standing with Piangi and her team. I, unfortunately, sat alone at the front. But that didn't matter, for I was quite used to it. I never had many friends when I was a little kid. I was practically alone all the time at school, I had moved to a new school and met Emily. We didn't really connect at first, mainly because no one would talk to me. I was the new, weird kid who had lost everything.

So I stayed quiet and remained alone. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep to myself any longer. So one day, during our lunch break, I went up to Emily and whispered, "Hey, want to hear a secret?" Truth be told, I had no real secret to tell. It was just an excuse to talk to someone, anyone. But when she heard me ask that she grinned and immediately said, "Yes."

From then on we were inseparable. We became the best of friends that had quite a lot in common and we hung out as much as we could. We had sleepovers, went to summer camp, were even roommates in college after my mother passed and after Emily cut off her family. We had been together through thick and thin.

At least until now.

Oh, how I missed her. I missed everyone. I wanted to go back home so bad.

Felling tears starting to prick at my eyes I quickly rubbed them, playing it off as if I was tired. And I was. I was really, really tired. Ever since I learned how to control my piano playing, I've been going to the piano room every other night just to see me in the hospital bed once more, trying to find any way to get myself back, and it was starting to take its toll. I could already see the bags starting to show up under my eyes and I always felt exhausted. But I couldn't sleep. Now, going home was a priority.

"May we sit with you?" I heard a petite voice ask me. Looking up I spotted Meg and Christine looking down at me. Meg was dressed in a lovely sky blue dress that hugged her body neatly. Christine wore a pale pink dress, and a white ribbon wrapped around her middle.

I nodded quickly, my throat clogging up; speechless. Meg grinned and sat next to me, while Christine smiled meekly as she sat next to Meg.

"Hey, look!" Meg exclaimed, pointing up to one of the curtains of the stage, "There's Reyer!"

Sure enough there he was, with a big stack of white paper in his arms as he talked to Madame Giry up on stage. I took in a deep breath, throwing the past back into the vault.

"What opera do you think he's going to choose?" I asked, turning towards the two girls.

Meg shrugged, "Who knows? I just hope that the dancing won't be extremely complicated. Lord knows how my mum gets when we just can't get a complicated piece just right." Christine nodded with her.

"Christine?" I asked, leaning forward slightly to get a better look at her, "Do you think you'll be getting the lead again?"

Christine opened her mouth to answer, looking somewhat unsure, but before he could say a word the two, to quote Erik, "Idiot Managers." walked on stage. Each was holding a large stack of paper under their arms.

"Wait, what's going on?" wondered Meg, tilting slightly forward. I could only shrug.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" stated Firmin, "We have an important announcement!"

Andre stepped slightly forwards, wearing a large, toothy, smile, "Monsieur Firmin and I have decided that the opera that we are going to perform is the opera La Dame Blanche."