Chapter 11

She let her eyes move between me and Jack. I couldn't tell if she was surprised, angry or happy. She walked closer to us, still with an emotionless face. And all of a sudden, she was smiling from cheek to cheek.
"Nice to meet you Jack." She said and gave him a hug. Alright, so far so good. Jack looked like he was okay, mom didn't exactly seem angry... but she knew far from everything.
"Please, sit down!" she gestured for him to sit down at the dinner table as she moved back towards the stove.
"See? This is going perfect." Jack whispered with a cheesy smile and sat down.
"Where's dad?" I asked and joined Jack at the table. He didn't look nervous at all, which made me relax as well. He took my hand under the table and looked at me as I asked the question.
"He should be home any minute." She said and looked at the watch which was showing 6pm. Just as she said that, we could hear his voice shout from the hallway.
"I'm home!"
I looked at Jack. Now this was where it would get really tricky.
Dad walked into the kitchen a few minutes later, catching first me and I was met by a smile but when he saw Jack, it quickly disappeared. He looked at him for a while before walking up to him and reaching out a hand for him to shake.
"Hello sir." Jack said and stood up to shake his hand.
"Don't let the badge scare you." Dad said and laughed.
See, the reason to why I didn't tell my parents about Jack was bigger than I might've made it seem to be. Dad is a cop. Not just any cop either. He's got contacts in every state and is one of New York's most respected police officers. Jack smiled a faked smile and sat down nervously. I hadn't seen him like this before.
"Hey sweetie." My father said and kissed the top of my head before moving over to mom to give her the same kind of kiss.
"Dad, this is Jack." I said and put my hand on Jack's arm.
"Is Jack staying for dinner?" he asked and smiled.
"Argh, I don't know." Jack hesitated.
"Oh come on. You don't want to miss Abby's famous chicken soup!" dad said and nodded towards mom with a smile.
"He's right." I said and smiled at him.
"I guess I could stay if it's alright with you guys." Jack said and wiped his sweaty palms against his black jeans.

After a long quiet dinner, mom picked up the conversation.
"So Jack..." she said and put her silverware down. "Are you and Y/N in the same classes?" Fuck, I thought.
"Actually," I said and answered for him. "Jack's not from here."
"Really?" dad butted in. "Where you from son?" he asked and carefully scanned Jack's face.
"I'm from Nebraska, but I moved to LA not too long ago." He said straight up. He didn't seem as nervous anymore.
"And now you live here?" dad asked with a serious face.
"Um, no, I still live in LA."
"So what brings you here?" dad said, who'd apparently taken over the conversation which mom had started. Jack looked at me. His eyes were the same eyes that I'd fallen for. The same deep, brown eyes I'd looked into and realized I was head-over-heels in love with. He took my hand and then looked back at my dad.
"Your daughter, sir." He said.