Chapter 18

That day, on a rainy Sunday afternoon, a cab took us to the airport.
"Now what?" I asked as we sat down on a row of seats in the airport.
"I honestly don't know." He spoke.
"We can't stay here. My dad is going to kill the both of us." I said and leaned my head on his shoulder, trying to figure out what to do.
"Let's go out to Nebraska." He said, staring out in the distance.
"What?" I asked and sat up straight from my place on his shoulder.
"Yeah. I mean, I have to go back in a week anyway, so I might as well go now." He said and looked at me. "And besides, my mom has been on my nerves about meeting you since the first time she spoke to you on the phone." I looked at him with a shocked face.
"Uh, yeah. Alright." I said happily and he looked surprised about my answer.
"Really?" he said excitedly.
"Of course. Meeting your mom and seeing your hometown would mean a lot to me." I said with a big smile on my face. "And it's not like it can go any worse than your meeting with my parents went." I sighed and my smile faded away.
"Y/N don't worry about it. I'm in a relationship with you, not your father." He said.
"But you kind of are." I said.
"We'll get through this." He said and continued with; "I promise you; I'm not leaving you no matter what your dad says. He won't get to me again."
"Promise?" I asked.
"No empty promises, right?" he said, which made me think back on the times we didn't physically know each other.
"No empty promises." I repeated, just like I always had done. And saying it out loud instead of typing it into my phone; meant more to me than I think anyone will ever understand.

An hour or so later, Jack had fixed a pair of tickets to Nebraska. Truth is; I was afraid. Afraid of leaving the city, let alone the state. I was leaving a worried mother, angry father and confused teachers behind me without a word. I knew Mr. Lockwood would cover for me at school, but who'd cover for me at home? Leaving Brooke would be the only easy thing about it all. She had Ryan and I knew she was safe with him.
Jack strongly took my hand and looked down at me.
"Are you sure about this?" he asked and clenched his jaw as we were about to board the plane. I looked up into his dark eyes and took a deep breath.
"No." I said. "But we have to get away from here." He nodded and took a deep breath as well before taking a step inside the plane. I watched him move forward, wishing the first time we went somewhere together would be by choice and not because we had to hide. I followed him and squeezed his hand to let him know I was with him. We passed all kinds of people and every single one of them gave us these looks as if we were dangerous. And during our walk to our seats, I wanted to scream at all of them that we weren't the monsters; just the ones running from them. But I had to keep it to myself and sink down in my seat next to Jack. Jack. The only person I wanted to have near me right now. The only person I'd ever feel safe with; even though he was the one causing all the danger. He took my hand again and kissed my shoulder.
"We'll get through this." he whispered.
"I know." I whispered back and looked into his very close eyes. His face only an inch away from mine; making me really desperate for a kiss. He must've had the same thought in mind, because slowly he leaned in to kiss my lips. The intensity of that kiss; made me want even more of the rushing, hazardous feeling.
I leaned my head between his shoulder and neck, and closed my eyes. I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I was safe asleep. Well, not safe asleep. Just, asleep.