Chapter 1

Why does everything that makes you feel safe have to be forbidden? Why can't you just have everything you need, without having to worry about hiding it for everyone?

The ringing bell caused me to quickly open my closed eyes. I looked around and saw everyone in my class moving around with their books in their hands. Some had already left the classroom, and the rest were on their way out. I pretended like nothing had happened and closed my books, took them in my hands and followed the crowd of familiar faces; or so at least I tried to.
"Not so fast Y/N." I heard our English professor speak up from his desk behind me. I stopped without turning around. Damn it, I thought. So close. I turned around and looked at him, knowing what would come next.
"Are you feeling alright? Did something happen?" he asked.

Mr. Lockwood is my favorite teacher here. He's the only adult I can actually talk to without having to worry about getting sent to the principal or getting a call home to my parents. He's in his late 60's, and even though he has a lot of years on his back; he's surprisingly understanding when it comes to being a teenager in the 21st century.
"I'm just a bit tired." I replied, leaving bits of the truth out.
"I can tell. You're not the kind of student to fall asleep during my lessons." He said.
"I'm okay though." I smiled and nodded, to make sure he wouldn't worry.
"Alright. Just making sure." He said and nodded.

9 days earlier...

"I was just texting you!" she shouted. A smile spread across my face as I hurried up to get to her. Brooke was standing in front of my locker, waiting for me to get out of class like she always did. I embraced her in a hug.
"I missed you." I said in the hug and let go.
"Not more than I missed you." She said and smiled with her perfect white teeth. Brooke had been away on a soccer camp for a couple weeks. The only contact we'd had was this one phone call, in which she told me how much she hated everyone on the team.
"Did you survive?" I asked and checked her body with a grin. She was wearing a short purple dress, with a pair of white Chuck Taylor's on her feet. Her dark hair was in a bun and a pair of sunglasses filled the empty space between the bun and her forehead.
"Barely." She sighed and rolled her eyes. "What about you? How's the first days of school been?"
"Unbearable." I said and we started walking towards the cafeteria. "I wish summer break lasted forever."

It's a Thursday. I've been in school for four days, and I was already exhausted. Summer break had been the best of my life, though I hadn't told Brooke about what had happened...
On the third week of summer break, I started talking to this guy. This guy who lived exactly 2789 miles away (we'd checked). I've never felt this way about anyone before. And it wasn't even the big things such as his looks or personality, but the small, almost unnoticeable things that I liked. Like how he always FaceTimed me at 5.23pm on Fridays before going out with his friends. There were only a few things I was worried about when it came to this special guy; a) he lives 2789 miles away, b) he's nice when it comes to talking to me, but c) he's really a bad boy. And not one of those bad boys who does pranks on the teachers; he was the bad boy who was seriously dangerous. I guess it was something about that bad boy personality that made me stick around.

We walked into the cafeteria, filled with people we didn't like. I think the word "Ew" crossed my mind every time I looked at someone. Well, that was until I saw Alison and Josh. The school's most popular couple. When I looked at them, it was more of a word vomit with "Ew"'s. I hated them. Reality was; I used to be friends with them. But when they started dating and got more and more popular for being the "school's sweethearts", I stopped hanging out with them. And thank God for that, because if it weren't for that... Brooke and I wouldn't be best friends today.
We sat down at our usual table. I looked at Brooke taking out her salad and juice as I thought about telling her about Jack. (Jack being the guy I'd been talking to for 7 weeks.) But I couldn't. Not today. Not now.