eleven

BETH QUINN

working the first of january with a raging hangover was not something i desired but the reality was an eight hour shift of waitressing.

my job wasn't too bad though, sure we had to wear skirts and tights with a tight blouse as our uniform but the tips were amazing as it was a pretty prestigious restaurant which was known for rich businessmen to come to.

i yawned and looked at myself in the mirror, grimacing at my horrible reflection as i tried to sort out my disgusting hair, i brushed it and threw it up into a messy ponytail before applying some light makeup and throwing on my uniform.

i laced up my all black vans that i wore instead of the horrible shoes we were supplied with, no one really cared about our shoes to be honest.

as i slung my backpack on and headed outside, i got a phone call. it was harry.

"hey harry" i smiled as i answered, started my commute to work.

"hey beth, you busy?" he asked me and i frowned, knowing i'd much rather hang out with harry than work til ten tonight.

"im on my way to work" i told him. "i really cannot be arsed though"

he laughed a little. "where do you work?"

"oreganos" i told him, making my way down the street.

"woah, me and the guys used to go there all the time" he told me. "it's fuckin' expensive"

"i know, right" i laughed. "the food is good though, tastes better when it's free"

"okay, beth, rub it in" he said, sarcastically. "well, maybe i'll ask the guys if they wanna go out for dinner tonight"

"please don't" i begged. "i look horrific and i don't want you guys to see me like this"

"oh, shut up beth" he groaned. "i'm sure you look gorgeous"

"no, honestly" i told him. "i look like death on legs, why the fuck are we even open on new year's day?"

harry laughed and we chit chatted for a while before i approached the restaurant, informing harry that i had to go.

"okay, have a good shift!" he told me. "i'll probably see you soon, have a nice table for us"

"oh, shush" i laughed. "bye harry"

"bye, beth"

i entered the building, being welcomed by elliott, my work friend who often worked on the door.

"long time, no see!" he exclaimed with a smile.

"i know! i took a few weeks of holidays but here i am" i laughed, making my way into the back, elliott following me. "have we been busy?"

"meh, christmas eve was busy but we've calmed down again" he shrugged as i took my jacket off and hung it up, sticking my bag and phone into my locker. "amy's back though"

"are you fucking kidding me?"

amy coulter was the owner of the restaurant, mr coulter's, daughter. she was so horrible and bitchy and she got everything she wanted because she was the bosses daughter, she didn't share tips and was so bossy so when she left a few months back to go live in brighton, we proper celebrated.

"nope, she's in right now" he told me. "anyway, i'll see you on shift, i gotta get back"

"see you!" i told him as he disappeared back out. i took a breather before making my way out, clocking in and making my way into the kitchen.