thirty five

BETH QUINN

the previous day

i rolled over in my depression pit that i had the audacity to call a bed, groaning as my mum had come in and opened the blinds.

"beth, i don't know what's happened but i need you to talk to me" she said, sitting down at my desk. "i'm worried about you"

"harry and i broke up" i told her, finally ready to talk about it. "well, we're on a break but that means broken up, i just know it"

"beth" she sighed. "what happened?"

i briefly explained everything while she sat and listened, nodding along every so often.

"your dad and i went through something similar when we were around your age" my mum started off. "this girl was like, in love with your dad, and she would tease me and bully me all the time"

"that's horrible" i shook my head.

"i know, honey" she replied. "your dad ended up breaking up with me, to get her to stop torturing me but in the end, we realised the only person who had won was her"

"you're right!" i said, in the event of harry and i breaking up, the only person who gained anything was rice as he got a reaction from his stupid posts. inevitably, all we got from it was broken hearts. "thanks mum"

we stayed and chatted for a while before i decided i was going to actually do something with my day, today.

i got up and showered, doing my hair and stuff before getting dressed into shorts and a jumper and doing a full face of make up.

brodie had asked me to watch a movie with him tonight so i decided i would go to the shop and get us some snacks while he was at school, it would be a good excuse to get out of the house for a bit.

the walk was short and sweet and i got all of brodie's favourites before heading back to the house and setting up.

as i was getting a movie ready for brodie coming home, my phone started to ring, i looked down to see that it was freezy.

i furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but picked up the phone anyway.

"hello?"

"hey, beth" freezy said. "umm, i know this is weird but i just wanted to call and check up on you"

"that's nice of you" i smiled. "i'm okay, i'm getting there"

"glad to hear one of you are okay" he sighed. "harry's a mess, he barely leaves his room except for sidemen shoots, hes not been eating very well either"

"really?" i gasped, i thought harry would be better off without me.

"he's a wreck without you, beth" freezy said. "do you want to come over tonight and you guys could maybe talk?"

"um, freezy, i'm in glasgow" i trailed off. "i've been here since the day after the holiday"

"fuckin' hell you kept that quiet" freezy laughed slightly. "do you know when you're coming back?"

"i'm not sure" i sighed. "i miss everyone like mad, especially harry"

"he misses you, beth" he told me. "i'm telling you right now, hes in love with you and he made a big mistake"

harry was really in love with me? i wanted to believe it so bad but my heart still hurt like hell.

"freezy, i'll call you back, i've got something i need to do"

"no problem, just please, don't give up on harry"

we said goodbye and i went straight on to the easyjet website to book a flight to london, the earliest i could get was tomorrow morning so i booked it, decided it was finally time to face harry.

brodie got home and we hung out for a while, watching a few movies before i broke the news to him that i was going back to london.

"am i coming?!" he asked, excitedly.

"you've got school, bud" i told him. "it's september, when it gets to the october holidays, i'll ask mum if you can come and stay, deal?"

"deal!" he grinned, shaking my hand.

before i knew it, it was the next morning and i was in my dads car on my way to the airport to head back to london.

"you'll tell me if this little twerp breaks your heart again, right?" my dad said, looking over to me.

"dad" i groaned, laughing but he gave me a stern look and i agreed. "i think you'd love him"

"well, if it goes to plan, we'll come down to visit soon" my dad said, making me smile. "brodie has been begging"

"i know, bless him" i smiled.

after a while, i got out and headed to my gate before boarding the plane which would literally only last for under an hour.

it was really uneventful, i listened to my one direction playlist on the way because i really was that bitch still stuck in 2014.

once i arrived in london, i grabbed a taxi and went straight to harry's place, the nerves were proper building up.

what if freezy was messing with me? what if harry didn't miss me at all? what if he had moved on? what if this was a mistake?

before i knew it, i was in the lift on my way up to their apartment, my backpack slung over my shoulder and my hands shaking.

as i knocked on the door, my heart started to beat a lot faster, contemplating just leaving and going back to my apartment but freezy opened the door before i could.

"beth!" he smiled, pulling me into a hug. "are you just back from scotland?"

"i landed half an hour ago" i laughed, slightly.

"come in, come in!" he exclaimed, pulling the door open. "lux! beths here!"

"is harry not here?" i asked him, confused.

"he went out with will a few hours ago, i'll call him" he said, walking out to the balcony but lux came in and joined me.

"beth, how are you?" he asked, pulling me into another hug.

"i'm okay, i guess" i smiled. "how've you been?"

"meh, apart from dealing with harry's grumpy ass i've been okay"

"has it been that bad?" i asked him and he nodded.

"he's been really snappy" lux told me. "he gets like that when he's in a state of depression, just proper in denial and rude, i guess"

"shit" i frowned, i had never seen that side of harry, he had always been this happy-go-lucky type of guy who always cheered me up. "i wonder where he is"

freezy came back in, a frown on his face. "he said he's out with will, they should be back soon, do you want to stay?"

"is that okay?"

"that's more than okay, beth" lux said with a soft smile. "go get changed and i'll make you a cuppa"

"i love you guys so much"