27. Confession

Third person's pov:

It was a chill night. (Y/N) sat on the grass near the lake. The next day had been a fear for all the others. But the most dreadful fear was that, there was no possibility that (Y/N) could survive. All the hard work she put in, it would only result in her death. There was a ruckus created all over the school. But (Y/N) wanted some time for herself. It was hard to make up her mind to face the queen the next day, but she had to do it somehow.

While she was deep in thoughts, she felt a presence beside her due to the shuffling of grass. Yuta had made his way out of the dorms and had spotted (Y/N) from afar. He knew she needed time for herself, but he also knew that her thoughts were killing her somehow.

"Scared?" he asked looking at the lake, without sparing a glance at her.

"Are you scared? Are you nervous? Are you alright? Huh.....How many times will you ask me these questions?" (Y/N) asked him, chuckling a bit.

"Unless I receive a proper answer for it." he said, finally turning his head to look at her. Her eyes were sparkling in the moonlight, but it hid a lot of pain and sorrow.

"Even I don't know the answer to it. I might say I'm fine because I have to be strong to win the battle, but I'd be lying to myself." she said, frowning and looking down at her feet. They remained silent for few seconds as they stared at the lake.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." Yuta said after a long pause, but he knew that he couldn't do it anyways. It was bound to happen. He turned to look at her, who was chuckling again. His eyes landed on her hands which were placed on her knees. Without thinking twice, he slowly lifted his hand and placed it on top of hers, squeezing it a bit.

She didn't react. It was comforting. At least at this moment. "Out of the number of things I don't want to happen, this one's first. Don't try to protect me." she said sternly, her eyes still glued to the lake.

"Wha-" she cut him off by finally looking at him.

"Don't try to change the future. Don't try to protect me please. Anyhow I'm the one who is destined to die tomorrow. About you and the others, I'm worried. So you shouldn't just waste your time by protecting me. Protect yourselves first!" she said looking into his eyes. "I'm being serious. I won't ask anything from you but this."

"You know it's difficult for me" Yuta said as he turned his body, so that he was facing her.

"But you have to do it. For me." (Y/N) said, with a low voice. She had a sorrowful look on her face. "Promise me."

Yuta sighed. He knew better than to argue with her. He gave her a slight yet unconvincing nod. "I Promise" he said, earning a smile from her, and then turned to look at the lake.

She slowly turned her hand which was still under his, to intertwine their fingers. He turned to look at her but she immediately whipped her head to the other direction.

"Stop staring at me. It makes me feel confused" she said with a slight smirk. She remembered that day when he had kissed her and said the same thing. How much she wished she could go back to those days, she would have had more time to live.

Yuta was taken aback by her statement but soon remembered those words and realized the situation. He chuckled a bit before cupping her cheek with his left hand, turning her face towards him and bringing it closer to his. She flinched at the contact but made no effort to back off.

As a cue, he smashed his lips onto hers enveloping them into a rather passionate kiss. It seemed like they had the moment of their lives as (Y/N) didn't hesitate to kiss him back. Her grip on his hand tightened. He slowly pulled away to look into her eyes.