10. First Lesson

(Y/N)'s pov:

"I mean.... How can you ask two persons to like each other?" I asked, completely disgusted by that thought.

We were in the practice room, as how we named it, which was set up by our Chief for my training. It was about 10 AM and Yuta had already borrowed few books from the library regarding how to use the powers. He seemed like a strict trainer, as he had arrived 30 minutes earlier and started looking through the pages of the books. He was wearing glasses, which gave him a different look, like a nerd. We decided to learn a particular power we could find in the books, which gives a good start.

I sat on a chair with few books on my lap. There were many stacks of books around us, which made me doubt how the Librarian allowed to borrow them all together. It's probably because of the Chief.

"That's what the old man said." Yuta replied to my question while looking down and picking up another stack of books. "If you believe everything he says." he muttered under his breath.

I narrowed my eyes at him. For Yuta, the old man's first impression was the worst. He can't be blamed if he doesn't like the old man. He acts all cold towards him, not like he is not in his usual self though. But I knew for sure he didn't like the old man.

"But still..." I continued "Well.... They can't ask you to like me... That would be absurd." I said, while flipping through the book in my hand, trying to find a good power to start with.

"There is no need to ask me.... I've already fell for you" he said while flipping through another book. He never looked up to see me, he was completely concentrating on the book. As for me, I just sat there frozen. Is he drunk? I thought.

"I'm not" he said, still not looking up. That made me feel bad. I didn't mean to say it out loud in his head.

"Sorry.. I didn't mean it like that." I mumbled, fidgeting with my fingers.

"I know" he remained as calm as he could be. For a moment I thought he didn't mean what he said. My mind couldn't process it well so I just shrugged it off. "Stop joking around. Let's start the practice." I said, desperate to get out of this awkward situation.

"I'm not joking.... And yeah... Let's start." he heaved a small sigh which almost went unnoticed, while he showed me the book.

I didn't let that awkwardness between us spoil my training session. I placed the books on my lap on a table nearby and went towards him. He was still sitting, so I had to stand beside him, bending to get a better look at the book.

Laser Beam.

"Are we going to practice this? In this room?" I asked quite confused. I might burn this place in no time.

"Yeah. If you are fine with it" he said while making proper eye contact with me for the first time since I arrived.

"Well... I'm just a beginner. And this place is too small. What if I -"

"Don't worry about it. I'll do all the arrangements." he said cutting me off. I gave a slight nod and he stood up to gather all the books and piled them up in the corner. He then raised his hand, pointing it towards the pile of books and closed his eyes. Within no time a transparent shield appeared around the books, which made its presence noticed by a blue light. I caught a glimpse of the blue outline before it was gone.

"It's to protect these books. I can't risk them with you." Yuta said. I raised an eyebrow at him. "I didn't complain" I said as he motioned me to come towards him.

We both were now standing at one end of the room. Exactly opposite to me were cardboards and few other materials placed. I turned around to look at Yuta who was placing few cushions on the floor right behind me.
"What are those for?" I asked.

"You can pass out anytime. I'm here to instruct you not to hold you when you faint." he said while getting up. I scoffed at him. And he said he has feelings for me? I thought.

"Dont worry. I'll at least take you to the infirmary." he said after noticing the annoyed expression on my face. "Now.. Let's start. Make sure not to move your hand or point it anywhere else, or you'll get this place destroyed within seconds. Raise your hand and point it towards those cardboards you see in front of you. Close your eyes, gather energy, think about the power you saw in the book earlier. You will feel something different inside your body. It's the energy! Rush it to your palms, open your eyes and Shoot!!"

I did as I was told. At first I didn't feel anything. No energy. Nothing.

Concentrate. Focus.

I kept telling myself that I need to pay more attention to it. I tried for the second and third time. But it was all in vain. Try again. I raised my hand, closed my eyes, but still didn't feel anything. I was about to give up. I turned around and looked at Yuta leaning on a table nearby. He just gave me a slight nod asking me to continue.

I heaved a big sigh. You can do it.

I raised my hands again, pointing it to the cardboard and closed my eyes. Laser beam emission. After few minutes, I was ready to give up when suddenly I felt a different feeling inside my body. Energy. I tried my best to focus on it and somehow felt the energy rushing to my palms. That's it. You're close. I opened my eyes to find a bluish white beam of light emitting from my palm like a ray. It headed straight away to the corner of the cardboard and that's when I heard Yuta saying "Move your hand slowly to the other end of the cardboard without losing your focus."

I slowly moved my hand to find the cardboard almost being cut into two pieces. "Stop" I heard him say once I reached the end. Immediately the beam had disappeared and I started rubbing my palms, unable to believe I just learned a power. I tried it few more times until I was confident enough in using the power anytime I needed.

"That's some good progress" he said as he moved forward and deactivated the shield from the books. He then took one of them and sat at his spot earlier. That's when I realized I had been practicing for two whole hours. I sat on the cushions he had placed on the floor earlier. He started writing something on a paper which was in a file. "What's that?" I asked.

"Your reports. The Chief asked me to fill it in every day." he said still looking at them. "This place is nothing different from a school." I muttered. He seemed to have heard it as he chuckled. Once we were done, I thought of asking him the question which had been pestering me the whole session.

"Were you serious about what you said earlier?" I asked while standing up and dusting off my cloths.

He looked up at me standing and kept eye contact for few seconds.
"Yes." he said.

"For how long?" I asked.

"You just happened to catch my attention back in rooftop....When we had a fight. " he said, again looking back at the file in his hands.

"I thought you were really angry back then?" I asked again, although I felt like a freak, nagging him with questions.

"I was, but after what you told that day....I felt I was wrong." he said.

Wow! He felt he was wrong. He has feelings. I smiled to myself but didn't try to push any further and stayed silent.

"Don't worry. I'm not asking you out. I'm just letting you know." he said breaking the silence. After few seconds he looked up again and asked "Are you scared?"

"N-No I'm not" I said feeling a bit awkward. Should I be scared?

He heaved a big sigh. "Tomorrow at 10 am again. Let's do this everyday." he said, proceeding to leave the room. As he was about to turn the doorknob, I spoke up, something I was holding in for a long time.

"Just remember..... Not to cross the line" I said the last part quietly, but loud enough for him to hear.

He stopped in his tracks and turned around. "Thanks for reminding me.... I was about to cross it soon." he said and with that he left the room.

__________________

(A/N)'s note:

Cringe!!

Anyways the next few chapters might become interesting with some mystery and action probably, so pls look forward to it.

Also share and vote my story.