4. Signs?

(Y/N)'s pov:

There were gossips all over the place after the incident. The Chief had asked to meet Yuta privately. I didn't get to speak to him after that. I should at least thank him. I thought.

My friends had become possessive over me for no reason. Stacy was getting on my nerves, but I was thankful to have Alex by my side. Stacy shuts her mouth whenever Alex has a comeback for her.

After getting dressed up, I went to the cafeteria and entered a room at one of its corners. It was a quiet and calm place unlike how it is at the cafeteria. I usually come here to grab some coffee. And that's what I'm craving right now. A coffee.

The place was empty as always. It was until I was adding few sugar cubes to my cup, that I observed my hand changing into something. It looked like a.... Paw? I dropped the spoon, while shaking my head and blinked a few times. It turned back to normal. What just happened?

I didn't give much thought to it at that moment and once I was done preparing my coffee, I decided to leave. Only to notice Yuta standing by the door. He looked perplexed but still calm. That's when I remembered that I owe him a lot... Well at least a thanks.

He flashed a small smile and proceeded to get in without saying a word.

"Yuta.... Thanks for yesterday." I said, still mixing my coffee. He once again took notice of me but he just kept looking at me. For some reason I felt uncomfortable under his gaze, so I thought it would be better to leave without an answer.

"No problem..... Anyone would have done the same" he said once I made way to the door. "If that's possible" he mumbled the last part and I couldn't understand it. I just gave him a small smile and left the place.

As I walked out, I faced the person I was least interested in. Stacy was walking in my direction staring daggers at me. I just wish she doesn't irritate me and walk back. And as if my wish was granted, she traced her path back, her expressions showing how confused she was.

That made me even more confused than she was. Does that count as mind control? Just then Alex had appeared out of nowhere from behind me. "Did that pest trouble you again?" he asked. I shook my head. I liked the nicknames he gave her. I looked at him for few seconds and thought. Let's test my skills on someone.

"Hey there!" I heard someone call out. I turned around to look at the boy with the prettiest eye smile ever, heading in our direction.

"Jeno! What brings you here?" Alex asked as he shook his hand. "I came to get some coffee for Jaemin. I lost a bet" he said while scratching the back of his neck.

All this time, I was looking at Jeno with narrowed eyes. Finally he took notice of me. He took the empty cup from my hands and went to the trash can to throw it.

"Uh.. Thanks a lot Jeno!" I said smiling at him. It worked!

"Anytime" he replied before walking into the other room.

Alex looked confused at Jeno's actions and I couldn't help but chuckle.

Finally I found one of my powers. But that didn't help me stop thinking about how my hand transformed into something. I made my way to the washroom and made sure no one was there.

While looking into the mirror, I tried to think of anything that came to my mind at the moment. If I could transform into something, that means I'm a shape-shifter.

I stood there for about two minutes looking into the mirror and that's when I noticed something strange. My face started deforming, my eyes grew bigger and my eye color turned darker than the night sky. I looked down to my hands to find them turning fleshy with a shade of dark. There was a huge amount of hair all over my body, my hands and legs turned into paws, exactly like how I had seen earlier.

I finally looked up to face myself in the mirror. What the fuck? A bear? Out of all animals I could only think of transforming into a bloody bear? But it looked so real, that if someone catches me like this in the human world, I would have been chased by Emergency response teams.

Just then I heard the washroom door clicking, indicating someone was coming in. I stumbled and ran into the nearest toilet and shut the door behind me.

Back to normal! Back to normal!!

I kept saying in my head. How am I supposed to turn back to normal? I realised that it happens on instinct, so I closed my eyes and relaxed a bit. I heard some notices from outside but I didn't give much thought to it. I thought of my normal superhuman form the whole time. Yes! I was finally capable to be called a superhuman.

Once I opened my eyes, I found that my body had turned back to normal. I touched my face to make sure there was no hair or anything that would make me resemble a bear.

As I was busy trying to straighten my dress and fix my hair, I heard a knock on the door. "Excuse me. How long are you going to take?" Shit. It was Stacy. I wouldn't risk my life by stepping out in front of her with any sort of abnormal look on my face.

I turned the door knob with one hand while closing my eyes shut. Stop. I hope the time stops. I thought. I stepped out to see everything frozen.

Stacy had her hand raised to the door, probably because she was knocking. Few of her friends were fixing their hairs and applying makeup. The water flowing out of the tap froze too.

I immediately checked myself in the mirror and stepped out of the washroom. I snapped my fingers and everything went back to normal. It seemed as if I gave life to everything around me. I took a quick glance at Stacy who stood there dumbstruck.

I ran to my dorm and flopped onto my bed. Ray and Elena, my roommates weren't there and that was a relief.

A Yokai. Shit.
I'm a Yokai.

I don't want to be one. I thought. It's better to not let anyone know about it for now.

Because if they know, they would expect a lot from me.

And I'm afraid I wouldn't come up to their expectations.