» strangers

• Dedicated to a stranger

"Don't you just hate it when friends become strangers, falling into a spiraling process of late-night conversations, tumbling through gift exchanging, and rumbling down bumpy roads during road trips, only to become a blur in a busy crowd of people? A moment of infinite trust, held together by secrets whispered to the moon, only to be broken by time stretching out the distance between two people." I fiddled with my shoelaces as we slumped down between two sharp walls in the attic of your house. The room had an architectural bold touch to it as if it was daring the world to break ties on conventional styles of how a house should look like. The window was zigzagged, and the roof had jagged edges, creating tent-like corners around the room. It was perfect.

"Maybe they weren't meant to be friends forever. Maybe if they did, something awful-tainted with a harsh reality and coated with hatred-would happen to them. And this is the universe's way of helping us not to hurt so much. We're already barely making it by, suffocating on feelings. So, this is kind of the universe's way of saying 'you deserve a break.'" She shrugged her shoulders and flipped the light switch on; only this started a luminous trail of tiny lights across those jagged edges. Tiny Christmas lights glowed to life and started to breathe a little steady beat.

"I wish it didn't hurt though. I mean, to think of it, even though it's helping us not feel futuristic pain, the present pain will always be there. The pain we get after we realize that they are only a face in a crowd of busy wanderers. Is it worth it?"

"We can only hope so, love. We can only hope so." She sighed.