» chimerical

"Have you ever had an empty promise?" She asked me as we heard the raindrops collide with the glass, sheltering us from frizzy hair.

"What do you mean?" I paused the video I was watching to hear what she had to say.

"Like...has anyone given you an empty promise? Or have you done that to someone else?"

"I don't think I've given anyone an empty promise because I always make sure that it is something that isn't unreal of me to complete. It isn't impossible to do that promise so, in the end, I don't let anyone down. I don't know if they have but I hope not on the case of someone giving me an empty promise. Why? What about you?"

"I just wanted to know the correct definition of what an empty promise is. The thing is," she moved her knees closer to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, "if someone tells me that in a few months, we're going to go somewhere or do something together, and they've settled on buying the flight tickets and everything, but you know that they're the type of person who never keeps their promises, is it technically an empty promise? You know that they're the type of people who ruin all hope of creating memories, and they just make you happy for a split second just so they can feel great about themselves. They're the person who the next morning tells you 'you got excited last night' with a chuckle because they have that ounce of power. They're the person who you cannot have a normal conversation because it always ends with them yelling for absolutely no reason because they cannot control their explosive habits. With that knowledge of that person, can you call anything that they promise a promise?"

"That sounds incredibly depressing. The fact that you've lost all trust in someone to make a simple commitment in the smallest activity so that when the time comes for a grand one, you're left with the idea that it will always be canceled because they're so unreliable..." My thoughts fluttered past the edges of the windows and twisted with the falling raindrops. "I think you need to, in the most frustrating action ever, take acceptance of the person they are and stop placing hope in them. Once you lose that yearning to constantly turn to them for your source of happiness, you're going to feel so much better. Trust me, just dissociate yourself from them. Whatever happens to them, it is their fault. You have no control over their actions; you cannot and will not stop them from harming themselves and the relationships they've built. If they cannot foster or nurture the trust between the two of you, then there is no reason for you to constantly hurt your brain and heart, thinking about why you made the mistake again of believing in them."