» seniors

The autumn breeze tickled her dimple as the sun illuminated across her locks of hair. She stared at the building in front of her as a mass of sleep-deprived humans waited for the grand doors to open—to signal that summer was ending and it was time to spend a year hunched over uncomfortable desks. She looked around the myriad of buzzing zombies to find the pair of eyes she saw home in.

With a big grin, two arms enveloped her in for a warm hug. "Hey," I gleamed at her.

"Hi. Are you ready to enter hell?" She nodded to the school.

"Oh come on, don't be so glum about it. Think about it, it is our last year of hell. We're graduating from hell! Isn't that exciting? We've been here for thirteen years, just going up the ranks of hell. From kindergarten to twelfth grade. Man, we're so old." I nudged her side jokingly.

"Uhhuh, sure we are. Ow! My poor back, I can already feel my spine dying from the future hunching." She genuinely laughed.

"I know something that can make all of this hunching sound more pleasing." I pulled out my phone and quickly typed in my passcode.

"What is it?" She peered over my shoulder.

"Gotta catch them all!" I yelled as my inner Ash came out.

"Are you serious?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

"Yes."

"You're such a kid." She hip bumped me.

"Here, there is a Jigglypuff right next to that kid next to the flagpole. Go and throw a Pokeball at it." I handed her the phone.

"What? You're insane. I'm not just going over there and catch Pokemon!"

"Uh, yes you are. Now shoo."

She nervously walked over to the boy and glared at me. I covered my mouth with my hands to suppress my laughter.

"Um, excuse me. Can you please take a step to the right?" She awkwardly fiddled the button at the end of her jacket.

"Uh, sure." He stepped aside.

In a quick swipe, she threw the Pokeball at the Pokemon on the phone, completely forgetting that the volume was raised to the highest. The jingle of the app played loudly and the color of red was painted across her cheeks.

"Are you playing PokemonGO?" The boy turned around and pulled out his phone to show her that he too played the game.

"No, no I'm not. What makes you think that? That's just my ringtone. Gotta go! Bye!" She ran up to me and pushed me down on the nearby grass. "I hate you so much. And I saw that you just installed the app. Was this a prank?"

I couldn't stop laughing as I had forgotten to tell her to lower the volume. "Oh, I plead the fifth but I do know that senior year is already going to be amazing. I can already tell."

"Uhuh, definitely. We're going to be making memories of our lives. Best year of high school—totally."

"You know it," I winked at her.