» judgments

SENT: Have fun and be safe.

I shot her a quick message as the clock ticked, getting closer and closer to when she would go on her date.

RECEIVED: Thanks. :)

My eyes drooped and my brain told me to pull the covers above my head, letting the sweet feeling of sleep enter my body. Not even thirty minutes into heavenly bliss, my phone buzzed loudly, dancing on the nightstand and even almost falling over. I stretched up and reached over for the phone to see a text from her.

RECEIVED: Just got home. Never mind about the date.

SENT: What? Why? What happened? Call me now.

A few minutes later, I was scrunched up in my bed with my phone as I listened to her spew the judgments that slipped out of her date's lips.

"And he just looked at the couple passing in front of us and just started to insult them. I was completely shocked because it was as if a devil entered his body and taken over. And he doesn't even know the couple yet he still makes accusations! I was so angry that I couldn't just sit there and listen to him banter over how the boy was dressed in a certain way. It was disgusting. I remembered how you told me that the way a person shows themselves to the world is how they will treat you. If they are kind to the public, they will most likely be kind to you. I remember how you told me to find someone who makes me feel comfortable. I remember how you said that I shouldn't feel scared near a person that I want to be with. I remembered all that and saw how I didn't have any of that. I told him that he needs to stop judging people too quickly and to look at himself before he talks about others. I immediately left and I am so happy to be home. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this whole dating thing."

"You did the right thing. He sounds absolutely awful and I hope someday, something happens to change his view on people. You shouldn't live a miserable life; it chains you to one emotion and deprives you of true joy. Plus, he just missed out on what could have been an amazing addition to his life. And just because it doesn't feel like the timing is good right now doesn't mean you won't say 'I do' in the future. Okay? Someone out there, underneath the same sky, is wondering where you are."