Chapter Fifty Two

Lexa POV
As we ride along, watching the sun set, I feel Clarke slowly fall asleep. Perfect. I was worried I was going to have to concede and let her stay awake and plan. I slow my horse to make the ride less bumpy and hum and ancient lullaby in her ear. The song reminds me of my parents. I only have a couple of fleeting memories of them but this song I remember. I feel a tear roll down my cheek before I promptly remind myself ai laik Heda (I am the commander) and a Heda doesn't have a family. To seek the past is weakness. I straighten up in my saddle, compose myself and we keep riding.

Once we get to Polis I am plagued with the task of getting sleeping Clarke up to my bedroom without waking her. I dismount my horse and give her to my stable boy.

"Thank you heda. I noticed that you sent Clarke's horse back early and I let her in and brought her back to the stable. I hope that is okay." He says with almost the sound of fear in his voice. He is a young boy, maybe 12 or 13, an apprentice who wants nothing more than to serve me and do an excellent job at it.
"Brilliant work Taino. I was unsure of whether she'd make it home at all. Thank you for taking care of her" he blushes at my praise.

Carrying Clarke, I take her inside the tower and get into the elevator instructing my men to take me to the top floor. I normally take the stairs but today I think not. I pity the men stuck on elevator duty. It's a horrible job.

Once on the top floor it's a short walk to my bedroom but in that time I look down at Clarke's face for the first time since I've been carrying her. She looks so peaceful in my arms, delicate, perfect. I love her so much.

I place her down on the bed and accidentally fall down next to her. I tell myself to get up and begin planning but soon I feel my way limbs growing heavy and my eyelids closing. I'm sure a quick nap wouldn't be too bad.