Chapter Thirty Seven

Lexa POV

After Clarke woke up the first time on the trip back to Polis I made sure to not utter another word, weary that me speaking may have been what woke her last time. I do not know how to treat her inguries or even what to do to help her in anyway but I do know she needs to rest. I have not  experienced extreme torture like what Clarke has been through but I have heard the stories. Once you are first saved or escape you are so relieved that your exhaustion catches up on you and you sleep for a while but as soon as you wake up again and your brain begins to function normally, sleep always evades you, no matter how much you need it. So I will try to keep Clarke asleep as long as possible.

As we get closer to Polis, everybody has caught on with my thinkings and a comfortable silence has spread throughout the group. This was a godsend because I don't know how much longer I could bear Murphy trying to speak trigedasleng. It is in the silence that I am given time to think. My first thought is how I am going to take care of Clarke when really I need Clarke to tell me what to do and the second is what I am going to say to the ambassadors. I do not think they will be happy that the blockade has been lifted without enough deaths. But blood has been spilt by Pike and that is the only blood that was needed. Somehow my thoughts run together and a realisation hits me hard and I almost scream out at my ignorance to think of the obvious. Whenever I arrive at Polis, the guards have to announce my arrival so the often yell loudly 'heda!' when they see me. Polis is also a trading city, it is always bustling and noisy. I will not be able to keep Clarke asleep for long in that.

I turn to Lincoln and Octavia who have now both turned to me to see what is wrong and whisper quietly "Polis is loud. Very loud. Clarke will not be able to stay asleep long in that, I know that we cannot control the venders selling their wares or anything of the sort but I do not want Clarke to wake up to the guards yelling at me. She may get worried." They both nod as if the understand what is going through my head before I continue "I need one of you two to ride ahead and make word, preferably Lincoln because the guards will trust a trikrus word better than Skaikru. No offence Octavia."

"None taken Heda." she replies reluctantly, telling me that she was offended but know she cannot be angry with me because I am Heda.

"Octavia you will have to take Abby. Is that okay?"

"Sha, Heda" she nods her head and then looks to Lincoln so that they can organise the relocation of Abby between the two of them. Not much later Lincon's horse takes off fast and he dissappears in the trees in the direction of Polis.

The rest of the ride to Polis is silent and uneventful. My mind is clouded with anxiety about whether the guards will trust Lincoln's word and then if they will follow through with orders.

I am plesantly surprised when we get to the gates of Polis and not a single guard yells. Instead they bow and mutter something too quiet to hear from here. When the gates open, I am not hit with the normal sounds of Polis, it is silent. Every single person, no matter whether they live in Polis or are just visiting, is bowing towards us and whispering. It isn't until we dismount our horses that I can hear what the words actually are. When I do finally understand what everybody is saying I have to use all of my effort not to break my composure and shed a tear. Every single person is bowed down to Clarke and is whispering "Ste yuj Wanheda (Stay strong Wanheda)".

The City that never stops is silent for Clarke.