| 𝟣𝟧

"YOU MUST BE PAUL," Alaric says as he greets the boy pacing the front porch

Paul tenses at the sound, before turning around and nods his head at the man standing before him.

"Yeah, you must be Eloise's dad." Paul says as he holds out his hand for the man to shake, clearing his throat as the man raises his eyebrow at him in confusion.

Alaric shakes his hand, before letting out a soft chuckle despite feeling a brief sadness wash over him at the conversation, he knew Eloise would have to have later on. "I'm her uncle, Alaric. It's nice to meet you."

Paul clears his throat again, before scratching the back of his head nervously. He could see two girls peeking at them from one of the windows but didn't say anything as they tried to hide behind the curtain.

"I'm sorry, I just assumed."

Alaric smiled and shook his head. "You're fine, it happens."

Paul took in a deep breath and nodded, before catching the strong scent of vanilla and lavender that made his heart race as Eloise stepped outside and shut the door behind her.

"Wow, 7 o'clock on the dot." She looked up from the clock on her phone and smiled at him as he swallowed hard. "Very punctual." She giggled, tucking a strand of her wavy hair behind her ear as she approached him.

Alaric smiled as he watched the two of them, before clearing his throat and pointing between them. "That punctuality better still be there when you bring her home by 11, do I make myself clear?" His stern voice made Paul jump, all of his confidence shaking within him as he nodded his head quickly.

He couldn't remember the last time he felt this way, and he wasn't sure if he liked how pathetic he felt in that moment of getting spooked by the man before him.. but he let it go the moment Eloise's bright blue eyes stared directly into his as she chuckled and took hold of his hand.

"Don't let that old man fool you, he couldn't hurt a fly, let alone a...." She sucked in her lips as she blushed, holding back finishing her sentence as she dragged him off of the porch and towards his beaten-up truck.

Relief washed over Paul as they both hopped into his truck, before settling in the pit of his stomach once more as Eloise buckled her seat belt and bit her lip as she glanced at him. Her cheeks were red and plump as her shaky breath caught his ears.

"A-are you cold?" He barely whispered, causing him to curse himself at his vulnerable side seeping out without consent. His chest rising and falling erratically as he reached out to turn on the heat without waiting for her to reply.

Their fingers colliding as she went to reach out to stop him, both of them gasping in surprise before chuckling at themselves.

"You don't need to do that," She whispered, their fingers rubbing against each other without either of them noticing. "You radiate enough heat to warm a bedroom."

Her eyes grew wide as if she said something perverted, before he grinned and let out a chuckle at her actions.

"Well then, scoot on over and I will gladly be your personal furnace." He joked, expecting her to just giggle and stay where she was, but as he put the car in drive and pulled out of the driveway, he couldn't help but grin wider as Eloise moved to the middle seat and smiled next to him.

"Well, if you insist." She bit her lip, but didn't say anything further as they drove the rest of the way in silence.