| 𝟢𝟪

I LISTENED CALMLY to Bella rant on and on about Jacob in her truck as she drove towards La Push to confront the younger boy about the conversation he had with her while I had been unconscious

"He said he wanted me to remember the story about the Quileute tribe, but all I can focus on is the part about being descendants of wolves! Who drops that kind of bombshell on someone?"

I glance over at her as I make a face, watching her eyes glance at me before she sighed and rolled them as she picked up on my point.

"I just don't understand what's going on, Elle." Bella decided to continue, despite my laughter.

I shake my head and relax in the seat as she drove closer and closer to Jacob's house.

I had woken up this morning in quite a good mood, considering I just found out about the existence of vampires. I wasn't sure why it didn't seem to bother me as much as it should, but it didn't.

For the first time in a long time, I felt... safe. It was such a bizarre sensation to feel after the events that happened just a day ago, but I felt like there was something stirring within me that just made me feel calm.

Pulling up in the driveway, Bella barely waited for me to hop out of the truck before she was rushing out to bang on the front door and nearly knocking Billy out of his wheelchair as she took off towards Jacob's room.

Despite caring about Bella, I glared in her direction before making sure Billy was okay. The man sighed and nodded his head as I helped him get situated in his seat, before he waved his hand to let me into the house and go find Bella.

I barely made it into Jacob's room before Bella was running outside to where Sam Uley and a few other guys stood making loud noises.

"What did you do?" I heard her scream as I rushed outside to try and stop her from making a scene, but she had already begun, and it was too late for me to stop her as she began roughly shoving Sam.

Sam remained calm as she screamed at him, before the guy that I had met a couple days ago stepped up and defended Sam. "What did we do? What did he tell you?"

"Nothing, he tells me nothing because he's scared of you!" Bella continued to scream in their faces, as Sam tried to calm down the angry boy that was defending him.

The boy begins to laugh hysterically with the rest of the younger boys, whom I now recognized as Jacob's friends that I had met when him and Bella were working on dirt bikes.

Bella grew angrier, and before anyone could stop her, she punched the guy defending Sam in his face.

My eyes grew wide in complete shock, a gasp escaping my lips as I watched him grow angry while Sam tried to calm him down.

"Too late now," one of the other boys said, as Sam yelled at us to get back.

I barely had a chance to move out of the way as the guy from the market, who Sam called Paul, transformed into a large gray wolf that I recognized from the clearing yesterday.

I gasped, roughly falling backwards as Bella shoved past me and ran. I stared up at the beast as he let out a loud growl, his golden eyes watching me before snarling and leaping towards Bella.

He didn't make it to Bella as Jacob came running out of the house and transforming in a rusted-brown wolf and tackling Paul to the ground as the two began fighting.

One of the guys, the one who had laughed at Paul and I when we first met at the market, came to my side and helped me up as I stared off into the woods where the two wolves had disappeared into.

"Guess the wolf's out of the bag." Embry said as he passed by to help Bella up as Sam yelled at them to take us to Emily's house before he too disappeared into the woods in search of Paul and Jacob.

The one who helped me up introduced himself as Jared, before he led Bella and I to her truck so that they could guide us to this Emily woman's house.

I sat in the passenger side of the car as Bella drove, avoiding eye contact with her as the boys sat in the back and yelled out the directions for her to follow.

A part of me knew she didn't mean to hurt me, but the other part of me felt extremely hurt that she did and that she just left me lying there while she tried to get to Jacob.