| 12

"HEY ELOISE," Edward Cullen greets me as I stand outside Bella's house with my hands in my pockets as I wait for Bella to get out of his Volvo after being gone for a couple of days to visit her mother in Arizona

I was one of the first people Bella had told about her engagement when she had returned home from her trip to Italy with Alice Cullen. Briefly hearing the story about the Volturi, but still finding everything about them so hard to understand and a part of me still aching from a loss that didn't make sense.

I straighten up as he grows closer to me, before raising my eyebrow as he furrows his eyes and gives me a confused look like I had managed to catch him off guard.

"Everything ok?" I whisper, my voice still sore from all the saltwater I had coughed up just a few weeks ago.

He nods his head, before stepping out of Bella's way as she gets out of the car and smiles at me.

"Hey Elle," she greets me with a gentle hug, as if scared to hurt me. Which makes me roll my eyes, trying to remind her that I forgave her for what happened on the cliff, but she still refused to forgive herself.

She glances behind me as I turn around, smiling at Jacob who barely acknowledges me as he glares at Edward.

I sigh at them all, feeling out of place like I always did around the three of them. I fold my arms across my chest, before raising my head up at the sound of Paul's name come from Edward's mouth. "Emmett and Paul had a misunderstanding, there's nothing to worry about."

I roll my eyes at all three off them as they argued, before following Jacob towards his bike.

Him and Bella hadn't spoken since Bella announced her engagement, but Jacob had continuously checked in on me. "Hey Jake,"I whisper again as I catch up to him.

He smiles down at me from his bike as I shuffle on my feet and look up at him. "How..." I swallow hard, causing Jacob to set down his helmet and place a gentle hand on my shoulder to finish the sentence for me.

"How is Paul?" I blush, but nod my head as he glances over at Bella. Jacob sighs, before handing me his helmet and turning on his bike.

I look over as the two of us watch Bella argue with Edward before hopping in her truck and following us as Jacob sped off towards the reservation.

I hang on tightly, feeling the air against my face as I lean my head into Jacob's back and sigh.

It felt like forever since I had slapped Paul, but it had only been a few weeks. I couldn't understand why him walking away from me hurt so badly, but it did, and I had spent the last few weeks trying to ignore it and let my voice heal- but nothing seemed to be helping.

Jacob had broke down over hearing about Bella getting engaged, and the two of us had grown closer as friends as he showed up on my doorstep with a small care package that Emily had made for me.