turning back time

VIII

VIII. TURNING BACK TIME

When Remus told Winnie to meet him at the Whomping Willow, she hadn't believed him. Was she actually going to see her father? He'd told her to change into her phoenix form, so no one would sneak out. Luckily, one of the windows in the Ravenclaw common room had been left open. Part of her felt guilty for not telling her friends, as this adventure could result in danger, but she had to go alone. When she arrived at the Whomping Willow, it had been immobilized by Remus, she presumed. As soon as she made it through the opening of the tree that led to the Shrieking Shack, she saw more people than she was expecting. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat near, looking rather beat up.

Standing next to Remus was Sirius Black. Her father.  The man who had been in prison since she was three. She was in the Azkaban uniforms for their prisoners, and was very dirty, and overall looked like he needed a shower, and to brush his teeth. Nevertheless, Winnie ran into his arms, hugging him tightly.

"Dad!" She cried. He held her tightly, looking at how grown up she'd become. Harry had his wand aimed at Sirius, but Winnie stood in front of him. She looked towards the corner, seeing Professor Snape knocked out; apparently she had gotten there a little late.

"Winnifred, move out of the way!" Harry shouted.

"No, Harry! He's innocent! Just listen to what he has to say." Seeing his daughter defend him nearly brought him to tears. He'd been gone for twelve years, and Winnifred had every right to believe he was guilty.

"Please, Harry. I remember being little and having my father take me over to your house. James and Lily were his best friends, he would have never hurt them." Harry's eyes widened at the mention of his parents.

Harry begrudgingly let Sirius talk, and it caused a huge commotion when Ron's pet rat, Scabbers, turned into a man; Peter Pettigrew. She knew her father, Remus, and James had been close friends with him at their time in Hogwarts. However, Pettigrew was the one who betrayed the Potters. Not Sirius.

Both Sirius and Remus made sure Winnie was behind them, so she would be protected. Peter bantered back and forth with them. Telling Sirius he would've done the same thing if he had been in his shoes.

"I would've died! I would've rather died than betray my friends!" Sirius screamed. Peter Pettigrew looked at Winnie. Harry, Ron, and Hermione could only watch. 

"Winnifred, wouldn't you have-"

"Don't ever speak to my daughter again." Sirius seethed.

When Harry had heard enough, he decided he trusted Sirius, and would let the dementors take care of Pettigrew. The long walk out of the Shrieking Shack, was filled with conversation. Harry had so many questions to ask his godfather, and Winnie had so many things to tell him. Snape was being levitated by Remus, as he was still knocked out, and was keeping an eye on Peter. Sirius and Harry were carrying Ron, who had injured his leg pretty badly.