albus dumbledore

XXXVIII

XXXVIII. ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Winnifred rushed to the hospital wing, having heard about Ron. He'd been poisoned; saved by Harry and Slughorn. Harry had thought quickly enough to give Ron an antidote. Unfortunately, Ron had been out for a few days, including his birthday. Winnifred sat next to Ginny, and opposite of Hermione. Hermione was a wreck, and Winnifred could tell she missed him.

"Where is he? Where's my Won-Won? Has he been asking for me?" Lavender Brown's voice echoed through the hospital wing. Winnifred rolled her eyes, trying not to laugh when she made eye contact with Ginny and Hermione.

"What is she doing here?" Lavender asked, looking at Hermione.

"I might ask you the same question!" Hermione snipped.

"I happen to be his girlfriend!"

"I happen to be his...friend."

"Don't make me laugh. You haven't spoken in weeks. I suppose you want to make up with him know that he's all interesting."

"He's been poisoned, you daft dimbo! And for the record, I've always found him interesting." Hermione exclaimed. Winnifred couldn't stop turning her head from Hermione to Lavender as the conversation progressed.

Ron started to mumble in his sleep.

"Ah! He senses my presence." Lavender said.

"Er...my...nee..."

Winnifred looked back at Harry with wide eyes, before burying her head in Ginny's shoulder so she didn't laugh.

"Stop! You're gonna make me lose it!" Ginny whispered.

When Lavender had left the room, Winnifred and Ginny couldn't contain their laughter.

***

Ron had grown confused as to why Lavender was no longer talking to him, but it seemed as though he and Hermione had become closer. School had gone on normally, and Harry had finally managed to crack Slughorn.

Young Tom Riddle had been asking about horcruxes. It could split your soul, so you could live forever. However, to make these, you had to kill. Tom Riddle had talked about creating seven of them. Slughorn, against his better judgement, had told him about them.

Dumbledore had explained where he'd been going off to — to find these horcruxes. He also said that his hand was decaying because of Marvolo Gaunt's ring.