the champions

XIV

XIV. THE CHAMPIONS

Winnie sat in Professor Moody's class. She was unsure what to think of him. She ended up sitting next to Hermione. Only a handful of Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were in the class at this time, but would be seeing him when the bell rang. Professor Moody loudly made his way to the front of the classroom.

"I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" No one said anything.

"Right then. I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about this class." He started. "Seems like you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling dark creatures; you've covered Boggarts, Red Caps, Hinkypunks, Grindylows, Kappas, Giants, Obscurials and werewolves, am I right?" A few of the students nodding, thinking about Professor Lupin. He had definitely been their favorite Defense teacher so far.

"But as fourth years, you're very behind on dark curses." Winnie felt uneasy. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with dark curses."  Hermione and Winnifred shared a worried glance towards each other, but continued listening.

"Curses...They come in many strengths and forms. I'm not only going to tell you the counter-curse for these curses, but also show you what they look like. Otherwise, how are you to know when a wizard is going to pull an illegal curse on you? You need to be prepared. You need to be alert and watchful." He went on. 

"Now...do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by wizarding law?" He asked. Winnie knew the spells, of course. Most did. They just weren't exactly a fun topic to discuss over dinner.

"My dad told me about one. The Imperius Curse." Ron spoke up.

"Ah, yes. Your father would know that one.  Gave the ministry a lot of trouble at one time." He walked over to a desk, pulling a small spider out of a jar. He shouted: "Engorgio!" causing the spider to swell up to four times it's normal size.

"Imperio." The spider now did what ever Moody commanded it to. It did backflips, leaped around in the air, and he brought it to the student's faces. First to a Gryffindor named Lee Jordan, whose eyes went wide with fear. It passed by Parvati, Ron, and Neville, who didn't look pleased. A few students began laughing - mostly Slytherins, which caused Moody to land the spider on Draco's face.

"Think it's funny, do you? You'd like it, would you, if I did this to you?" The classroom fell silent.

"Total control. I could make it jump out of the window...drown itself." He questioned the class for another spell. Neville nervously raised his hand.