amortentia

XXXII

XXXII. AMORTENTIA

My Dearest, Fred,

How has business been since I left? I am beyond proud of you and George. Did you hear that Snape now teaches DADA? I can hardly believe it myself. The new potions professor is nice albeit a little odd.
I've heard that he's brewing Amortentia today, and I was just curious as to what yours smelled like?

Love,
Winnifred

She smiled as she sent the letter off to Diagon Alley with Mercury. She still had about an hour before breakfast started; she'd woken up a little early. She cuddled with Clove, who was now a full grown cat, and had the biggest eyes. Clove liked to lay around with Crookshanks when given the chance. Unfortunately, she didn't have potions with Harry, Ron, and Hermione this year. She did, however have it with Prim.

Winnifred sat next to Luna and Dove at breakfast, drinking her pumpkin juice happily. It was odd without the twins and Sabrina there, but she was thankful she had Prim and Luna. She was starting to get closer to Dove, who couldn't be any more different than Sabrina if she tried. While Sabrina tended to be slightly timid, and a little quiet; Dove would talk your ear off, and she was pretty good at standing up for herself. Winnifred had heard that she punched Pansy Parkinson in the face last year for calling her a Mudblood.

She said goodbye to the two Ravenclaws, and met up with Prim, who gushed about the twins' shop on the way to potions.

This year, with Slughorn as the new professor, the class had a happier aura to it. As they got in their seats, he began speaking.

"Today we will be brewing the Draught of Living Death, however, I do have a few spare potions I would like to go over. To begin; Amortentia. Can anybody tell me what the use of this potion is?" Winnifred raised her hand.

"Ah! Miss Elm! Go ahead." Not realizing he'd called her by the wrong name, he urged her to answer. She shared a confused glance with Prim before answering.

"Amortentia is a very powerful love potion. Some consider it highly dangerous. Amortentia cannot create actual love, as it is impossible to manufacture or imitate true love. The person under the effect of the potion would only hold an obsession for the person who administered it." Winnifred told the class. Winnifred loved to read. She'd read about Amortentia in her third year. She loved to study with Hermione in the library to get ahead on classes.

"Splendid! Ten points to Ravenclaw. Now, it has a different aroma to everyone who smells it, reminding what each person of the things they found most attractive, even if the person was unaware for their fondness of the object. Would you tell us what you smell?"

Winnifred blushed slightly, but took a whiff of the potion.

"I smell gunpowder; like that in fireworks, the woody smell of a broomstick, and...fire, specifically from a fireplace." Winnifred said.

"So...Fred Weasley?" Prim said, her voice not as quiet as she intended for it to be. The class laughed a little, causing Winnifred to blush again.

"Thanks for that, but yes. Fred Weasley." She announced.

***

Dumbledore had shown Harry and Winnifred a very important memory. The day he went to the orphanage to tell young Tom Riddle what he really was; a wizard. Even then, there was something unsettling about him. The look in his eyes, his monotone voice.

"Winnifred, I must ask you to stay for another moment, if you would. Harry, you may leave." The god-siblings looked at each other one more time before he exited Dumbledore's office.

"Professor?" She asked, sitting down.

"I've heard what happened in both Defense, and Charms today." Winnifred lowered in her chair. While potions had gone smoothly, Snape had made a comment about her father, saying rude and untruthful things in front of the other students. She'd shouted at Professor Snape loudly, and stormed out of class. In Charms, which she had with the Slytherins, Pansy Parkinson had said she was glad Sirius was dead; he was more trouble than he was worth; like Dove had done, Winnifred punched her in the face as hard as she could, breaking her nose.

"You have never been one to act out. I know this is about your father, Winnifred, and I am not mad at you. I simply think...you need a break. Flitwick and I discussed it, and we believe it's best if you take two weeks off of school. Spend some time with the Tonks', or the Weasley's."

"But sir, I would fall behind on my studies! N.E.W.T.S are next year, and I can't fall behind if I want to become a Healer, like my mother was. It's the only thing that I can think that would make her proud!" She exclaimed.

"You and I both know your future career is in quidditch. You have spoke of your dreams of joining the Holyhead Harpies many, many times. Why would you think your mother isn't proud of you?"

"I bring a bad name to the phoenix bloodline. Everyone in my family has saved lives. My father told me when the first war was happening, she'd healed dozens of people with her tears, and was a true phoenix. I have failed and I'm just...ordinary."

"You, Winnifred Black, are extraordinary. With one tear, you can save a life. Tell me, why do you think you've failed?"

"I couldn't save Cedric!" She admitted. Dumbledore's face softened.

"If I hadn't had been weak when they hit me with the curse, I could've saved Cedric. He was just a boy. But the curse brought me back to human form, and I couldn't save him."

"Winnifred, you mustn't blame yourself. Though, in phoenix form you can survive the killing curse, it will make you weaker because of it's power. If you hadn't had taken the first hit, both Cedric and Harry could be dead." Winnifred nodded, wiping her teary eyes.

"You will take two weeks off of school. It is important for your well-being. I will have your work sent to you, so you don't fall behind, if you wish. Please, don't look at this like a punishment. I'm trying to help."

"Okay...Yeah. I suppose I could use a break." She sighed.

***

When she got back to the common room, Mercury arrived with a letter for her.

My Lovely Winnifred,

Snape? Defense Against the Dark Arts? You're joking! Finally, you've learned about Amortentia. I believe you asked me what mine smelled of? Well it was you, Winnie. The smell of books, parchment paper and ink, and the lemon pie you love so much. Truth be told, I could smell it before we got together. See, Winnie, I have always loved you, and I always will.

With Love,
Fred

Winnifred held the letter close to her chest, smiling. Fred had truly become her light in the dark.

idk what this is
my head hurts
but at least we get a week with fred!
also - yes, that is a hamilton
reference you
see in the beginning.
please comment and vote!
it really helps me to keep writing this, because then i know you all like it. see ya until next chapter!