dementors on trains

I

I. DEMENTORS ON TRAINS

Winnifred Black knew her father was an innocent man. Her Godfather had made sure she knew the truth. After Sirius Black went to Azkaban, Winnifred was left in the care of Remus Lupin. Winnifred thoroughly enjoyed living with her Godfather, but at the age of nine, Lucius Malfoy requested that the pureblood live with them. Since they were blood related, Remus had no other option, but he wrote her every week. She was now thirteen, along with her cousin, Draco, and they would be going back to Hogwarts very soon. Winnifred had an odd relationship with Draco. He was a bully mostly, but he did seem to care for her, as they were family. The last two years at Hogwarts had been dramatic, first with the Harry Potter starting school, and then the Chamber of Secrets opening again. Winnifred remembered her first year, and being scared of what house she would be sorted into. Remus had written to her, saying that it didn't matter the house, as long as she was happy. He did say he was partial to Gryffindor, though. Lucius said he wouldn't tolerate anything other than Slytherin. Draco had made him proud with that, but Winnifred had been sorted into Ravenclaw. Lucius hadn't directly spoken with her since. She remembered the sorting hat's words. "I see bravery inside of you. Putting you in Gryffindor would be no mistake. Looking deep, I do not see Slytherin. Hufflepuff, perhaps...But I think you're clever. I think that when it comes down to the final moment, you'd know what to do. It is settled. RAVENCLAW!" Winnifred was friends with two girls, one named Sabrina Thawne, and the other, Luna Lovegood. They were all in the same house, so it was easy to see each other. Cedric Diggory, a boy from Hufflepuff, was also her friend, and she hated to admit it, but he was really cute. She was also close with her cousin, Primrose, who had been sorted into Hufflepuff. She was a Metamorphamagus like her sister, Nymphadora.

Draco only spoke to her when no one else was around, just so he could avoid the embarrassment of his cousin not being in Slytherin. Draco liked to make fun of Harry Potter, and his friends. Winnifred had personally never spoke to them, but they seemed nice. The only thing keeping her from befriending them was the fact that her father was in Azkaban, and she lived with the Malfoys. Her uncle had written again, saying that he would be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher starting this year. She was overjoyed- she'd be able to see him every day! She longed to live with him again, as living with Lucius Malfoy was not ideal. There were many things that Lucius made Winnifred swear she'd never tell.

When she got to her compartment on the train, that sat Luna, Sabrina, and Cedric, she saw they had grim faces. She put her things away, sitting down.

"Winnie, have you heard?" Cedric asked. Realizing now what he meant, she frowned.

"Yeah..." Her father had escaped Azkaban, and was now on the run. While she knew he wouldn't hurt her because he was innocent, she knew that the whole school would be staring at her.

"She doesn't have to worry. If she says he's innocent, he's innocent. Right, Luna?" Sabrina said, looking between the three of them.

"I don't think Hogwarts will be the same this year..." Luna gazed off. Sabrina stomped on her foot.

"Completely unrelated to your father, however." Luna's light, fluttery voice added. She gave them a smile, and told them she was going to try to find Remus, and that she'd be back. She passed by Draco's compartment; he smiled at her before realizing he was supposed to be ashamed of her. She stumbles across the compartment Harry and his friends were in, which happened to be the same one Remus was in. She opened the door as they were questioning who the sleeping man was.

"His name is Remus Lupin. He's going to be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts this year. He's, uh...my godfather." Winnifred smiled. The three smiled at her.

"I'm Winnifred Black." She introduced herself. Harry introduced himself, then Hermione, and lastly, Ron.

"You're the Ravenclaw that lives with the Malfoy's, right?" Ron asked, holding onto his rat.

"Unfortunately..." She looked down.

"You're Sirius Black's daughter." Harry said, somber. "I am, and I know what you've heard, but believe me, it isn't true. Anyways, I just wanted to see Remus, I'll be going-" The train came to a halt. Winnifred looked around before she saw the glass of the train windows freezing over. She saw a hooded, cloaked figure pass by then outside.

"Uncle Remus! Wake up! Dementors!" She shouted, shaking her godfather awake.

By this time, the dementors had gotten into the train, and one was attacking Harry. Remus used his patronus charm to expel the dementor, and proceeded to give Harry chocolate, as he said it would make him feel better. She looked at her godfather before frowning. "They were here because of me, weren't they?" Before Remus could answer, she booked her way back to the compartment the held her friends.

"Are you three alright? I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for, Winnie?" Sabrina  asked.

"I'm Sirius' daughter. They probably sent them here  because they think I have information. I should have done everyone a favor and stayed home this year." Winnifred sat down next to Cedric, who pulled her into a tight hug.

"Don't think like that, Freddie. None of this is your fault.  If anyone has something bad to say about you, they can take it up with us." Cedric said, pointing between himself, Sabrina, and Luna.