reminiscing

XXI

XXI. REMINISCING

It was about a week before Harry arrived. He'd immediately wanted to talk to Winnifred, as they were the only two who had witnessed Cedric's death. Hermione led him up to Winnie's room, where she was writing to Sabrina.

"Winnie?" He asked, knocking on the open door.

"Harry, please come in." She said, putting the piece of parchment down for the moment.

"How have you been doing?" Winnie asked Harry.

"I've had loads of nightmares. Can't seem to get it out of my head." He said glumly. "You?"

"I do well on some days. Others, I lock myself into my room with Clove and cry. Harry, I want to ask you something, but I don't know if it's a question you'll like."

"You want to know what happened after you passed out?" He guessed, and she nodded.

"Well, you deserve to know. You were there, after all." Harry looked down towards his feet.

"After you lost consciousness, Voldemort stopped Lucius from torturing you further. He said the blood of a phoenix could be useful, or that if they captured you, you would be useful." Harry began.

"I dueled with him. With Voldemort. I saw...the ghosts of my parents, and...I saw Cedric." Winnie's eyes began to water.

"Did he say anything to you?" She asked.

"He told me to bring his body back, and to make sure you were safe. 'make sure my Freddie is safe' he said." Winnie wiped a tear from her face. She would never hear that nickname again. Cedric was the only one who called her that, and she really didn't want anyone else calling her that. It was too painful.

"I ran to you and Cedric. You were losing a lot of blood...I used the portkey to get back to the entrance of the maze." Harry finished.

"Thank you, Harry, for saving my life. You didn't have to, but you did. Really, thank you." She said, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"Well, you've become my sister. I would hope that any brother would do the same. I only wish I could've saved..."

"It wasn't your fault, Harry. You did everything you could. You sacrifice your life for others time and time again. Make sure to save yourself every once in a while, too." 

Harry left shortly after their conversation, and Fred entered the room. Winnie was laying on her bed, thinking about what Harry had said. She would never be on Voldemort's side.