the ministry has fallen

XLI

XLI. THE MINISTRY HAS FALLEN

Winnifred and Fred were ecstatic when they walked back into the tent, seeing everyone dance happily. Fred wanted to tell everyone the news, but Winnifred insisted on waiting until after the wedding. Winnifred pointed out George and Prim, who were dancing together.

"Yeah, and he says they're just mates." Fred laughed.

"Winnie, oh Winnie! I am so happy to have you in the family!" Molly made her way over towards the newlywed, pulling her into a hug.

"Careful, mum! She's-"

Winnifred looked wide eyed at Fred, who realized what he was saying.

"had way too much firewhiskey. I mean, she's just downed it! That's it, Winnie, I'm cutting you off." Winnifred couldn't help but to laugh.

"Well, so has your father." Molly pointed towards Arthur, who was doing an odd dance, embarrassing Ginny.

"Merlin, that's unfortunate." Fred muttered.

Just as a very drunk George was about to serenade the newlywed couple with a Celestia Warbeck song, a great ball of light flooded the tent, with Kingsley Shackelbolt's voice echoing through the place.

"The ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. The ministry has fallen Scrimgeour is..." It repeated itself. Panic broke out through the tent — the guests started to dissapparate as death eaters invaded the tent.

"Winnie!" Fred reached for her hand as they got separated. "Fred!" She shouted back.

She was pushed through the crowd, eventually bumping into Hagrid. "Winnie, get outta here!" He shouted, pushing her out of the way gently.

She could see Remus dueling a death eater, and as she went to grab her wand, but felt an arm on her shoulder. She turned around, and to her horror, she saw Lucius. "Please-"

Winnifred locked eyes with Fred as Lucius dissapparated with her.

"NO!" Fred shouted.

***

"We've looked everywhere. We can't find Winnifred or Primrose." Molly said, with tears in her eyes. The burrow was full of worried friends and family.

"We're going to get them back." Remus said, and Fred wasn't sure if he was trying to convince the others, or himself. Tonks held onto his hand, worried for her sister and cousin.