the yule ball

XVI

XVI. THE YULE BALL

Dumbledore had announced that a ball would be taking place on Christmas. All the girls were giddy, wondering who would ask them to the dance.

"I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna ask Roger Davies!" Sabrina announced. Winnie, Luna, Padma, and Cho cheered for her. Unfortunately Luna was a year younger, so she wasn't able to go. Winnie knew Cho had always had a thing for Cedric, but since Winnie and Cedric had gotten together, she'd been fancying a Hufflepuff named Ernie.

"We have to go to Gladrags to get our dress robes!" Padma said excitedly.

Winnie's owl, Mercury, flew through the window, carrying a large package. Confused, she opened it, gasping. A breathtaking light blue dress was inside. Sabrina helped her get it out of the box, looking at the full thing. Delicate sparkles were at the top, and it had sleeves that hit the floor.

"Oh, Winnie, that's gorgeous!" Cho exclaimed.

Winnie picked up the letter that had been sitting on top of the dress.

Winnie,

Moony has informed me that you will be needing dress robes for a very special night. In this parcel, you'll find a dress that your mother once wore. My, how gorgeous she looked. I know you'll look beautiful, just like her. I also hear from Moony that there's a special boy in your life. I hope he treats you well, and I wish you happiness. I only wish I could see you. Happy early Christmas!

Love,
Snuffles

Winnie smiled at the letter, holding it close to her chest. She'd never had anything of her mother's. Now she would get to feel close to her mother for a whole night.

"Who's the letter from?" Padma asked.

"Oh, just my Uncle Remus."

"Professor Lupin is your uncle?" Cho asked.

"Well, he's my god-father. I've always called him Uncle Remus, though."

***

Though she didn't need a dress for herself now, she went with Prim and Sabrina to pick out their dresses. She'd invited Hermione, too. Prim had picked a yellow dress with flowers covering the top, and falling over the waist. Hermione picked a periwinkle layered dress, and Sabrina had picked out a blue dress that was so light it was almost white. It also had flowers scattered around, but not nearly the same as Prim's.