christmas

XXXVII

XXXVII. CHRISTMAS

Winnifred loved being at the burrow. It was the coziest place she'd ever stayed at. She and Fred danced to a Celestia Warbeck song, Molly Weasley smiling happily at the two. The burrow was packed; the Weasley family, Remus, Nymphadora, Prim, Sabrina, Clara, Fluer, and a few others were there. Hermione, however, was not. Winnifred assumed she was still upset with Ron.

She'd gotten another sweater from Molly, and had put it on right away. Fred had mentioned he planned on giving Winnifred her present in a couple of hours. Winnifred had a felt like she knew what it was, but was excited nonetheless.

It had been nice to see Sabrina again, Winnifred dearly missed her at Hogwarts. Between Winnifred and Prim, Sabrina was the most responsible.

"I think it's going really well with Poppy." Sabrina had said. "I really fancy her; I mean, have you seen her?" Winnifred laughed, and wished her friend the best. She knew Poppy felt the same way about Sabrina, so it was only a short amount of time.

Winnifred currently was sitting between Ginny and Prim. The two were in a heated debate about the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff quidditch teams, respectfully.

"May I bring Ravenclaw into the debate?" Winnifred asked. She was shot down by the two girls, who continued to argue; though they weren't really mad at each other.

It was good to see Clara again; Winnifred was glad she'd seen her alone on the bench. Otherwise, she would be missing out on a good friendship.

Seeing Harry in a discussion with Remus, she left her spot between the red-head and the metamorphamagus.

Unsurprisingly, Harry was talking about what he'd overheard between Snape and Malfoy. Remus told Harry that he was blinded by hatred for Draco, which was partially true, but with Draco admitting he was scared — Winnifred knew something bad was going on.

"In Hogsmeade...he told me he was scared. It was right before everything happened with Katie Bell." Winnifred told Remus, and Arthur who had joined them. Remus sighed.

"Winnie, would you come over here?" She heard Fred ask. She excused herself from Harry, Remus, and Arthur, and made her way across the room where Fred was standing. Behind him, Molly looked positively giddy. Winnifred smiled, putting her hand over her mouth as he got down on one knee. Prim gasped and tapped Sabrina on the shoulder forcefully.

"Winnie, I love you more than you can imagine. I always have. From the time when you tripped over me, or you danced with me at the ball — you've always been so kind. So beautiful.

With everything that's going on around us, I couldn't help but to feel like this was the perfect time. Winnifred Magnolia Black, will you marry me? Become Mrs. Fred Weasley?"

Winnifred had tears in her eyes — Fred always knew what to say to make her melt. "Of course!" She exclaimed. She could hear cheers around the room, and the sound of Molly Weasley crying happily.

Fred took the ring out to put on her finger, and they were both in for a surprise when black ink squirted up from the box, and onto Winnifred's face.

Fred looked downright confused, but George was doubled over in laughter.

"GEORGE FABIAN WEASLEY!" Molly shouted, but Winnifred laughed, taking a towel from from Arthur, who shook his head, but smiled.

"You know, I wouldn't have expected it any other way." Winnifred said. Fred helped her wipe the ink off of her face, and then everyone started to congratulate them.

"I'm gonna have a sister now!" Ginny exclaimed.

Remus pulled her into a hug, teary eyed.

"You've come far from the little girl in pigtails who always tried to braid my hair." He told her.

"Don't go crying on me, Uncle Remus. We both know you'll make me cry, too!" Nymphadora smiled from beside Remus; they'd just gotten together not that long ago. Winnifred thought they were perfect for each other.

Winnifred wished Hermione was there, but was still overjoyed with being engaged to the man she loved.

***

After a night of celebration, people were starting to go home. Sabrina had said she needed to get back home as she had Auror training in the morning.

As Tonks and Remus were going to leave, a black smoke swirled around the yard, and soon enough, Bellatrix Lestrange stood in front of them.

All sense was pushed aside in Winnifred's mind as she and Harry chased after her, after she started taunting about Sirius' death.

"Winnie, stop!" Fred yelled, chasing after her. Ginny seemed to have the same idea for Harry. Remus and Tonks followed after them.

Winnifred sent wordless spells towards Bellatrix, watching as she deflected them and laughed.

"Want to join your parents?" Bellatrix taunted. "No Mummy or Daddy to help you now."

However, she soon disapparated, and the newly engaged couple looked back to see the burrow in flames. They ran back, holding each other's hand, feeling the heat from the fire as they got closer.

***

Winnifred had gotten back on the Hogwarts Express with a promise to Fred that she wouldn't go running into more danger. The Weasley family were currently tasked with fixing the burrow. For once, Winnifred didn't know how she felt about going back to school. It just felt...dangerous. It was hard to feel safe anymore, knowing that Voldemort was gathering his army. Winnifred just kept convincing herself that Dumbledore could handle this. He had always fixed everything at the school, but she worried about his hand. Was it killing him? She didn't know.

She'd grown close to Dumbledore over the years. Not necessarily a farther figure to her, but still very important to her.

She pushed her thoughts aside, looking at the ring on her finger. Fred Weasley would always make her smile. Winnifred Weasley. She liked the sound of that. Dove had already asked her if she had any wedding plans, though it had only happened yesterday.

One thing Winnifred knew for sure; Molly Weasley was already preparing herself for the wedding.

hi i feel like crap