the triwizard tournament

XII

XII. THE TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT

Whispers traveled around Hogwarts about what had happened the night of the Quidditch World Cup. Some only spoke of the details written in the Daily Prophet, while others made a bigger deal than what had actually happened, talking about the death toll. Winnifred was thankful she came out of there unscathed. It was better than Percy, Charlie, and Bill Weasley could say. They'd looked pretty beaten up. September first had rolled around, and Winnie was thankful to be back at Hogwarts. As she had always stayed with the Malfoys, she'd considered Hogwarts her actual home.

The Malfoy manor was huge, but felt so empty. There was no love. It was dark and gloomy, and Winnie noticed it seemed to rain often. It matched her mood while she stayed there. This summer, however, had been different. She'd had the joy of spending it with her cousins, one of which she considered her best friend. The summer was full of laughter and happiness. Andromeda and Ted Tonks treated her like she actually meant something, as in Lucius Malfoy's mind, she was nothing but a burden.

Sometimes she pondered if her life would have been different had she been placed in Slytherin. Would he have treated her as his own? Probably not, but most likely better than he did. She wondered if she would've have been stuck up and prejudice like them. She was thankful she'd been sorted into Ravenclaw.

"Sickle for your thoughts, Win?" A soft, dreamy voice broke her out of her thoughts. She smiled at Luna.

"Just questioning the meaning of life, Lun."

"I suspect wrackspurts have a lot to do with it. They cloud our judgement and make our brains all fuzzy. Father says the trick to a happy life is to simply let go. Oh, I see Dove. I must get going now."

Sabrina sat down across from Winnifred, watching as Luna sat with her little sister. They were in the same year, and had a pretty close bond. Dove Thawne could only be described as fierce. She didn't take lip from anybody, and she always defended Luna when others would call her mean nicknames.

"I heard what happened at the cup. Was the dark mark actually in the sky?" Sabrina asked. Winnifred nodded.

"It was similar to the feeling of dementors. It felt like all the energy and happiness had been drained out of me when I saw it. This isn't good, Brina. What if they come after muggle borns again?" Before Winnifred had started school, and stayed in Dumbledore's office as Fawkes for the most part, Sabrina had been petrified by the basilisk. Their conversation was cut short by Dumbledore making his announcements. He went over Filch's many rules before speaking for himself.

"I have the dreadful responsibility of telling you that the Quidditch Cup will not take place this year." Many people shouted, angry that their favorite sport had been canceled. Winnie didn't want to go through the school year without quidditch. Roger Davies, who sat next to Sabrina looked very red in the face. There was a loud cracking noise, and the students looked over to see a larger man with a fake eye, and part of his nose missing. He must be the new Dark Arts professor. I bet he's not as good as Remus, though. Winnifred thought.

"However, Hogwarts has the honor of hosting the Triwizard Tournament this year. If you are above the age of seventeen, we welcome you to enter." Fred and George Weasley were very upset with this, but Winnie smiled. It was so exciting! She wondered if Dumbledore would let her put her name in. While she was only in her fourth year, she was seventeen. She also wanted to ask him if she'd be able to learn how to apparate.

She caught Cedric's eye from the Hufflepuff table, and they both grinned, having the same idea. They were both going to enter.

Dumbledore went on to say that he expected them to be on their best behavior, and to treat the two schools that would be joining them politely.

***

"Professor, I was wondering if I'd be able to enter?" She asked that night while she was in his office. He often had her up there because of her duties as a phoenix.

"Hmm. Well I suppose you could, you are seventeen, after all. Your fellow fourth years may not be particularly thrilled. Alas, I've made up my mind. You may enter." Dumbledore decided, eating a lemon drop. She smiled, deciding she'd ask him about apparating a different day.

Tomorrow would be her first class with Professor Moody, but Winnie couldn't help but to want Remus to come back. Of course, he still wrote, but it wasn't the same as having him there.

"Another reason I've called you to my office tonight, is a reason I fear may be too much to ask of you. If your name is not picked from the goblet, would you be my eyes? The first and third task, if you could, watch over them as Fawkes. Follow them."

"I would be happy to, sir." She knew that being a phoenix came with responsibility. Of course, her mother hadn't had the chance to talk to her about what she would become, but she had kept notes in a journal that Winnie kept tucked away in her trunk. It was the only thing she had left from her mother.

"Your mother would be proud. You know, I have a memory of visiting your parents one night in Godric's Hallow. Would you like to see?"

"What do you mean, professor?" Dumbledore explained how the pensive worked. Winnie was quick to say yes at the opportunity of seeing her mother.

Dumbledore prepared the pensive, grabbing a vial, and dumping silvery liquid mist into it.

next chapter we'll get a sneak peak into what winnie's mom was like!!
i hope you guys are enjoying the story and it's not cringey or anything lol. 
please comment and vote!!