𝐞 𝐢 𝐠 𝐡 𝐭

Δεκέμβριος (December)

She reminds me of Lucia. The paling face, the shaky voice, the trembling hands, the unsteady breathing, she reminds me of what Lucia had to endure. Alone.

When I entered the library to meet her, she was seated with Mr. Alexander. Sitting beside her, I saw that she switched her black crop top from earlier to a loose blue long sleeved knitted cardigan. Her hair was still up in a ponytail, and when she turned to face me, the cardigan slightly slid over her shoulder to where her bra strap was showing.

The black drawing on her tan skin caught my eye, and although I couldn't see all of it, I saw some overlapping lines that looked to be a rose. I've met many girls who had tattoos of all sorts, and roses were common to get, similar like butterflies or motivational phrases. But I never expected a girl like her to have tattoos in the first place, she didn't seem like a girl who would taint her skin with meaningless drawings.

So, the rose must have some significance to her, and I so badly wanted to pull the sleeve of the cardigan lower to see how far the tattoo went and did she have any more.

I have my own share of tattoos but they were all on my back. Contrary to what people think, my tattoos have meanings of their own. My back became my canvas, to paint the most memorable moments in my life, similar to how photographs are but photographs fade over time, and tattoos don't.

The talk in the library wasn't what I expected at all. I half thought she would agree with me completely and not say a word, but she had her own ideas too. Yes, I did wonder why she chose to do the project based on Persephone, but I had no reason to find out. In the end, we both want different things from the competition.

She wanted the prize trip to Greece, and I just needed the certificate. Even if we get them both, I wouldn't go with her, it wasn't my goal at all. I needed to focus. I needed to not think of a girl now.

But when she rejected my offer to send her home, I couldn't not think. I kept thinking, thinking of what the hell happened to this girl. While Lucia's symptoms were slightly different, there were some that were similar and I was able to pick up on them.

At first, I thought it was because of being in cars, but when she entered the Uber, she didn't look afraid or worried. Then, I remembered earlier today, when she was called a slut, that triggered a reaction out of her too, but I couldn't see the relation.

The memory of Lucia going into a full blown attack was why I became mad at myself. Seeing how Bella almost got a panic attack because of me, it reminded me of Lucia. There was nothing I could do to help my sister, I had to just wait.

But having a conversation with Bella was unexpected. I initially thought we would stand there in silence waiting for her Uber, but when I spoke, she did too. She appeared surprised when I took out an e-cigarette. I don't smoke often, it wasn't an addiction, rather it was just something that calmed me occasionally. Lucia hated it though.