𝐬 𝐞 𝐯 𝐞 𝐧 𝐭 𝐞 𝐞 𝐧

ιδεαλισμός (Idealism)

Rio clears his throat, while Abuela walks past him behind the counter. He gives me a look that says, 'Help.' And I gave him back a look, 'We didn't do anything wrong. It'll be fine.'

She suddenly brings a knife, with its tip digging into the table, one of her hands on her hip, "Puede que sea amable contigo, pero si la lastimas ..." She digs the knife deeper into the wooden table, not worrying about the mark it would leave there. (I may be nice to you, but if you hurt her...)

"Abuela!" I shout, my cheeks flaming, "Friends." I say in English.

He looks between us nervously and I honestly want to laugh so hard seeing him only nervous with my Abuela. He's always so calm and serious, but the fear on his face reminds me of a poor, lost boy.

The episode in the kitchen settles down soon after Rio and Abuela make up, talking about baking, and they're back to their normal, laughing selves. I glance at Rio, the way his dimple pops out every now and then, the eyebrow piercing giving him a more delicious appearance, and the way his eyes sparkle. I like him like this. I like him happy.

I know he lives alone, and I can't help but wonder how lonely he must get eating dinner all alone, probably just watching TV, maybe calling his friends over once in a while. It makes me feel thankful I still have Abuela with me, the jokes and the advice she gives over dinner or at random times, makes me feel like I still have my whole family with me.

After dinner, Abuela asks me to wash the plates, and she drags Rio to her baking room. I hear whispers instead of loud voices, it's like she's telling him something secretly. I try going nearer to the door, when it swings open.

Déjà vu. That's exactly what I'm feeling now, when I see him pull open the door. The day I first saw him at the library. I pause, and I can see his mouth moving, when I feel his hand on my shoulder.

"Hey. Hey. Bella. Earth to Bella."

"Yeah, sorry, I zoned out." He shakes his head, chuckling as he moves past me.

I walk with him to his car, and ask, "What did Abuela tell you?"

He doesn't reply, but a slow smile creeps on his face, and he slightly shakes his head. He walks to the driver seat, "Goodnight, Bella."

"