Chapter One: First Day, First Shift

"Y/n! Y/n! Y/n!"

The girl's eyes snapped open as she scrambled to pause her blasting music. To her side, a young girl was bouncing on the bus seat, light squeaks emanating from the abused springs. Y/n winced slightly; if she was able to hear her from over her blasting Vocaloid and Vocaloid covers, she pitied the other bus commuters.

"Yeah, Mabel?" She turned away from the bus window. There was nothing really interesting out there honestly; mostly trees and other differing vegetation.

"We're almost there," she giggled, and then proceeded to bounce even faster, if that was possible. Her smile was large, proudly showing her silver braces. The older girl smiled slightly; Mabel's ebullience was always contagious.

However, now that the small brunette had her sister's attention, she wasn't letting go of it that easy. Her twin brother had managed to shake her off before, but that was the good thing about having 2 siblings: there was always one to pester. 

"What do you think Stan will be like? Do you think there'll be cute boys? Oh my God, do you think we can get you a summer boyfriend?! Or girlfriend! Or partner! It doesn't matter who they are, I'll find you the best match!"

"Mabel, Mabel, calm down," Y/n laughed softly. The older girl adjusted herself in her seat, bringing her small bag into her lap and cradling her broken arm against her stomach. The white cast was decorated with small doodles, glitter, and motivational stickers and encased nearly the entirety of her forearm and bunched up the sleeve of her thin hoodie. "You've been saying that we're close for the past two hours now."

"Three, actually."

From across the aisle, a young boy spoke up. He looked exactly like his twin; same chocolate and fluffy hair, the same rounded face and small nose, and the same big brown eyes. His hair was much shorter than his sisters' and was constantly hidden under a brown worn cap. His bangs, however, were longer; some tufts of the brown hair were spilling out from under the cap's visor covering the birthmark that gave him his nickname. Mabel's hair neatly fell to her waist, held together with a hot pink headband, matching her pink hand-knit sweater. Both, however, had the same little cowlick of hair that stood atop the crown of their heads; something that undoubtedly made them Pines.

The boy, Dipper, was the slightly younger twin, born 5 minutes after Mabel; information he didn't like being repeated. However, despite the time difference, he was rather mature for his age. He took after Y/n in that way: both were avid readers, scrounging around for more information where it was missing. Mabel was the opposite; much more childish and adventurous, she'd rather watch tv than sit with a book, or craft together a new masterpiece. She saw the good in everything and everyone and often overwhelmed people with her sheer volume and joy.

Dipper had taken off his navy vest, leaving him in his light orange shirt. He had a book in his hands, his fingers holding his place as he turned to his sisters. Y/n noticed he hadn't gotten very far; probably because Mabel was bothering him for most of the bus ride.

"Shush Dipper," Mabel said. "I know we're close this time! I can feel it!" She was a ball of energy, and her constantly moving made the sleeves of her sweater bounce around wildly.

Dipper rolled his eyes. "I don't know what you're so excited about," he mumbled. "We're going to be in the middle of nowhere for the entire summer."

The youngest Pines hadn't been so pleased with their parent's sudden announcement for their summer vacation. He wasn't too opposed to change, unlike Y/n, but the thought of spending his summer in a little old town that was barely on the map with family he wasn't even sure he'd met before was less than ideal.